SG505 puzzle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jackinnj,
Like everything else, yes. How old did you say they were? ;)

The repair is very straight forward and unlikely to affect the calibration, unless the 120 Hz residual was not found at the time of it's last cal.

-Chris

Edit: check your rack / supply also.

yeah, I will check the pass transistors on the TM5006 before I start screwing around with the SG505 -- I had looked at the residuals back in the early summer and it wasn't a problem at that time so it must be the mainframe. the SG505 was yielding THD of 0.0005% to 0.0008% back at the time I did the article on the Super Oscillator.

the TEK mainframe is on almost all the time.

I didn't bother to check -- the SG505 worked well in all the other bays -- for the moment I have replaced the 2955/3055 with another On-Semi device of which I have thousands.

I have an SG502 which is completely dead -- some of the physical construction is identical to the SG505 but the 502 dates from 1971 -- this could be an interesting fixer-upper.

Let me know when you receive it -- I have one tweak which had a nice effect -- as you might be aware the SG505 has its own regulated power supply -- I placed a 1.25 inch strip of insulated mu-metal around the power supply section and it knocked down some of the 60, 120 and 180 Hz artifacts. These were really out of control when the pass transistors blew.

My guess is that the SG505 would be happiest in a TM501 -- all by itself, or perhaps in a TM503 with a DA4084.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.