How do you organise your music?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I, like a lot here I suppose, have fairly large CD and vinyl collections, which are slowly getting bigger.

My singles are organised in chronological order, which makes a lot of sense to me as a DJ as I tend to think in eras, or 'When was that tune?'.

My albums were organised in purchase order at first, but as I began buying several of an artists albums I changed to order them by artist. This presents a bit of a problem however, in that I am always shuffling CDs about on the shelves when a new purchase is made.

I just wondered what schemes other people used, and how you file 'various artist' compilation albums. For example, you could have a separate section after the artist albums, where VA comps are ordered by genre, or by album title.

CD's are in a couple stacks on the floor.. :xeye:

The few LP's I have aren't really sorted at all,not enough records (yet) to bother with it,only 10-12. (I really need to get a decent TT first.)

Tapes are in a box,in the closet,I think?..havn't used my tape deck in years.

And one big'ol folder of MP3 files on my HDD..
Started sorting the MP3's once,but didn't get very far,too many files! :rolleyes:

My CDs (about 600) are all in boxes in the garage. They've all been ripped to .flac files and stored on a 250 GB HDD in my audio server. I access them via my Squeeze Box III. The .flac files are all tagged and the server software allows me to search or browse by artist, year, genre, album title, song title, etc.

The HDD is structured like this:

e:\MUSIC\genre\artist\year - disc title\track no. - song title

This structure allows me to find things when I am looking at the computer. The server software goes by the tags in the .flac files and couldn't care less about the directory structure.

Of course, if I lose track of something I can just use windows search function to locate it.

Next project- convert the machine to linux so I don't need to reboot so often.

Vinyl... what's that?

I_F

CDs are alphabetical by artist name. V/A and mix CDs are filed separately by title, as are (mostly) blues, classical, jazz, Miami bass, and test CDs.

Leeched MP3s are stored on sequential CDRs as "albums", "mixcds", "unmixed" V/A, and by site name for stuff like mixes from "mixoftheweek.com", because I run out of room on the hard drives, and this lets me listen to them at work or in the truck using an MP3 CD player.

Cassettes are mostly in Posso Media Box drawers, and not particularly organized. VHS tapes with hi-fi audio recordings are stacked on shelves, waiting for me to build a good ADC and transfer them to digital media.

Records are also alphabetical, with compilations separately, 7" singles in beer cartons, 12" singles in various random locations.

Some CDs are on bookshelves, others are in these cheesy plastic drawer units by Sterilite that by some wild coincidence are just the right size to hold two rows of CDs. I'd like to build a proper storage cabinet with drawers to hold CDs and DVDs.

Laserdiscs are on a shelf, roughly in order of last watched. DVDs in mini milk crates roughly by genre.

I usually organize them by artist kinda like you said, richie00boy, but mine are in a big 400 disc changer so now I can only add more at the end, otherwise I'd have to type in all the album names and artists on the display again. So the first 70 are in order of artist and the rest are in the order I bought them.

The first 80 CDs or so are in alphabetical order by artist's last name. There's about 80 since that's what my rack says it'll fit, I never actually counted them. The next 100 or so (a rough guesstimate) are in random order in a couple drawers. Then there's about 40-50 sitting on top of my dresser which are the ones I'm listening to a lot at the time, they're in 3 piles with the CDs I've listened to most recently at the top. It's a small miracle that I can actually find anything.

CDs are on shelves. They atart off in order by artist last name, then slowly degenerate into a most used/least used jumble. Once a year or so I take on a reordering project. Unfortunatle, my wife sees this as a great time to clear out the stuff we "never listen to." I think that means we should start listening to that stuff again! Always fun.

I keep a massive collection of MP3s. Single best virtue of that is putting the entire playlist (150Gigs or so) on random and hearing all sorts of stuff I didn't even know I had. I wrote a little app a while ago to sort out my MP3s for me by reading the ID3 tags and creating folders (artist) anf subfolders (album name). Downsides: 1) you need windows and .NET 1.1 to run it, and 2) ID3 tags are often wrong.

Here it is if you want it. No warranty implied....

Attachments

• id3tagtool.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 16
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.