How do you organise your music? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2006, 07:52 PM   #1
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb How do you organise your music?

I, like a lot here I suppose, have fairly large CD and vinyl collections, which are slowly getting bigger.

My singles are organised in chronological order, which makes a lot of sense to me as a DJ as I tend to think in eras, or 'When was that tune?'.

My albums were organised in purchase order at first, but as I began buying several of an artists albums I changed to order them by artist. This presents a bit of a problem however, in that I am always shuffling CDs about on the shelves when a new purchase is made.

I just wondered what schemes other people used, and how you file 'various artist' compilation albums. For example, you could have a separate section after the artist albums, where VA comps are ordered by genre, or by album title.
Old 23rd August 2006, 10:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: How do you organise your music?

Badly.

I tend to have all the most frequently played at one end of my shelf, purely 'cos thats where they get put back. However it is fun, as every year or so, I go back to the never played end and start again from scratch!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 24th August 2006, 06:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The only way I could think of doing it with out having to move cds all around is similar to how I do my hockey cards. I leave a space for were the cards I don't have are supposed to go.

If you did the same on you shelves, you could the just slip in the new cd.
Old 24th August 2006, 06:54 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

LOL good idea, but that would surely leave gaps everywhere and need probably 2 cupboards to store everything instead of 1. Trouble is I don't plan really what to buy. I have a list of 'wants', but I come across new things all the time.
Old 24th August 2006, 07:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default by color

pre 81, yellow sub 124 bpm, orange over 124.

Blue, freestyle era

Green, pre 2001 sub 120 bpm

red pre 2001 sub 130bpm

pink pre 2001 over 130 bpm.

white, bun huggin stuff.

Cheers, John
Old 24th August 2006, 07:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
CD's are in a couple stacks on the floor..

The few LP's I have aren't really sorted at all,not enough records (yet) to bother with it,only 10-12. (I really need to get a decent TT first.)

Tapes are in a box,in the closet,I think?..havn't used my tape deck in years.

And one big'ol folder of MP3 files on my HDD..
Started sorting the MP3's once,but didn't get very far,too many files!
Old 24th August 2006, 07:19 PM   #7
preiter is offline preiter  United States
diyAudio Member

I use Winamp's media library. Sort and search by artist, album name, genre, etc.
Old 24th August 2006, 07:37 PM   #8
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by preiter
I use Winamp's media library. Sort and search by artist, album name, genre, etc.
I should have put "CD's and Vinyl's" instead of music in the thread title...
Old 26th August 2006, 07:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

My CDs (about 600) are all in boxes in the garage. They've all been ripped to .flac files and stored on a 250 GB HDD in my audio server. I access them via my Squeeze Box III. The .flac files are all tagged and the server software allows me to search or browse by artist, year, genre, album title, song title, etc.

The HDD is structured like this:

e:\MUSIC\genre\artist\year - disc title\track no. - song title

This structure allows me to find things when I am looking at the computer. The server software goes by the tags in the .flac files and couldn't care less about the directory structure.

Of course, if I lose track of something I can just use windows search function to locate it.

Next project- convert the machine to linux so I don't need to reboot so often.

Vinyl... what's that?

I_F
Old 26th August 2006, 08:48 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Alphabetical by artist last name, or band name.

Though in the last move, they got mixed so 1/2 are organized alphabetical and 1/2 organized a-la Pinkmouse

Hide this!Advertise here!