How do you organise your music? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2006, 06:48 PM   #11
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

CDs are alphabetical by artist name. V/A and mix CDs are filed separately by title, as are (mostly) blues, classical, jazz, Miami bass, and test CDs.

Leeched MP3s are stored on sequential CDRs as "albums", "mixcds", "unmixed" V/A, and by site name for stuff like mixes from "mixoftheweek.com", because I run out of room on the hard drives, and this lets me listen to them at work or in the truck using an MP3 CD player.

Cassettes are mostly in Posso Media Box drawers, and not particularly organized. VHS tapes with hi-fi audio recordings are stacked on shelves, waiting for me to build a good ADC and transfer them to digital media.

Records are also alphabetical, with compilations separately, 7" singles in beer cartons, 12" singles in various random locations.

Some CDs are on bookshelves, others are in these cheesy plastic drawer units by Sterilite that by some wild coincidence are just the right size to hold two rows of CDs. I'd like to build a proper storage cabinet with drawers to hold CDs and DVDs.

Laserdiscs are on a shelf, roughly in order of last watched. DVDs in mini milk crates roughly by genre.
Old 9th September 2006, 09:33 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
By type

Classical
Jazz
Rock
Pop
Easy listening
etc
etc

then into sub catagories:

Classical - Opera
Classical - Piano
Classical - Large scale peices
Classical - Choral
etc
etc
Old 10th September 2006, 12:59 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to abgba121 Send a message via Yahoo to abgba121
I usually organize them by artist kinda like you said, richie00boy, but mine are in a big 400 disc changer so now I can only add more at the end, otherwise I'd have to type in all the album names and artists on the display again. So the first 70 are in order of artist and the rest are in the order I bought them.
Old 10th September 2006, 01:07 PM   #14
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Music type, mood, recording quality. Recording quality for serious listening and system avaluation, music type sort of goes together with mood, just depends on what mood you're in.
Old 13th September 2006, 02:46 AM   #15
aerius is offline aerius  Canada
diyAudio Member

The first 80 CDs or so are in alphabetical order by artist's last name. There's about 80 since that's what my rack says it'll fit, I never actually counted them. The next 100 or so (a rough guesstimate) are in random order in a couple drawers. Then there's about 40-50 sitting on top of my dresser which are the ones I'm listening to a lot at the time, they're in 3 piles with the CDs I've listened to most recently at the top. It's a small miracle that I can actually find anything.
Old 14th September 2006, 09:59 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

CDs are on shelves. They atart off in order by artist last name, then slowly degenerate into a most used/least used jumble. Once a year or so I take on a reordering project. Unfortunatle, my wife sees this as a great time to clear out the stuff we "never listen to." I think that means we should start listening to that stuff again! Always fun.

I keep a massive collection of MP3s. Single best virtue of that is putting the entire playlist (150Gigs or so) on random and hearing all sorts of stuff I didn't even know I had. I wrote a little app a while ago to sort out my MP3s for me by reading the ID3 tags and creating folders (artist) anf subfolders (album name). Downsides: 1) you need windows and .NET 1.1 to run it, and 2) ID3 tags are often wrong.

Here it is if you want it. No warranty implied....
Attached Files
File Type: zip id3tagtool.zip (9.1 KB, 0 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!