Thunder and lightning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why is it that these big caps heated up so much without the mains fuse acting first?
They are literally cooked...which takes time I presume.

/Hugo

Attachments

• mvc-685f.jpg
    mvc-685f.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 190
Boy... I hope he has some insurance!

I've done a lot of solar powered stuff... remote locations... solar panels are just like lightning rods. I think lightning just does whatever it damn well pleases. Fuses do nothing... when lightning melts the fuse, it has enough energy to ionize the metal vapor I think.

tough break -
:(

I was just about to recommend him some lightning protection. We had good results in a set of buildings. Years ago, we had about 10 to 15 TV sets broken in one year from lightning strikes from that one block of buildings. Since the protection has been installed, we truly had none, zero.

/Hugo

You have weaker lightning there:clown:

The fact that our equipment is grounded so well... several rods driven deep per facility..is certainly good for safety and good for me.

Sometimes though, as flawed as my thinking may be, I believe it's worse for the equipment during lightning. There is NO isolation between equipment and earth and every last volt casts it's wrath.

In most other situations The earth is likely weaker..a buffer? Am I crazy?

The lightening just needs an easier path to ground than through the stereo.
When I was repairing electric fence energisers I saw some rather spectacular lightening strike results - e.g. all copper gone from the pcb and plated over the inside of the casing! We used to supply diverter kits consisting of a big spring ( as a choke), a spark gap made of two fat bolts, and a 6 foot steel ground spike.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.