Exploding laptops, and bateries - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2006, 05:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Exploding laptops, and bateries

Hi Everyone

I just saw this in the news. It's a huge recall by Dell, but it goes way beyond Dell involving poorly designed lap-top batteries. I think anyone with a laptop might want to check this out. This is a serious explosion, fire we are talking about.

Take care now,

Dave

http://cbs2chicago.com/consumer/loca...226214039.html
Old 15th August 2006, 02:02 PM   #2
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I haven't looked at the article yet, but I suspect it is the Li-On battery issues. Li-On batteries are very cool, but have serious issues with charging and explosive behaviour. Internal arcing, gasses, fire, explosion, etc. Cell phones can do this too.

Boy-o boy-o, I'd hate to crash that new Tesla electric sports car. Lots of Li-On batteries in there.
Old 15th August 2006, 02:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
People have been burned by "generic" cellphone batteries also,they fail somehow and get *hot*!

Something I've noticed,that's possibly related..My last phone had the little contacts on the bottom for charging,etc. Several times I'd stick my phone in my pocket with my keys,or loose change,when I'd take it out to use it,it was either completely dead/discharged,or had "magically" turned itself off.

So don't put your phone in a pocket with any kind of metal/keys/coins.
Old 15th August 2006, 03:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
I could use a couple of that model for some people i know.
Old 15th August 2006, 03:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Those batteries made by Sony. FYI.
Old 15th August 2006, 05:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalJunkie
People have been burned by "generic" cellphone batteries also,they fail somehow and get *hot*!

Something I've noticed,that's possibly related..My last phone had the little contacts on the bottom for charging,etc. Several times I'd stick my phone in my pocket with my keys,or loose change,when I'd take it out to use it,it was either completely dead/discharged,or had "magically" turned itself off.

So don't put your phone in a pocket with any kind of metal/keys/coins.
Yeah I think it's definitely related. A friend of mine is an auto mechanics instructor, and he had a 9v battery in his pocket for a multi-meter. All of a sudden he felt a hot spot on his leg! Keep in mind this laptop thing is when the comp is just sitting there. The odds of it happening are small but it is definitely a house fire situation.

Here is a direct link to the exact ones.:

https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx

Hide this!Advertise here!