Exploding laptops, and bateries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't looked at the article yet, but I suspect it is the Li-On battery issues. Li-On batteries are very cool, but have serious issues with charging and explosive behaviour. Internal arcing, gasses, fire, explosion, etc. Cell phones can do this too.

Boy-o boy-o, I'd hate to crash that new Tesla electric sports car. Lots of Li-On batteries in there.

People have been burned by "generic" cellphone batteries also,they fail somehow and get *hot*!

Something I've noticed,that's possibly related..My last phone had the little contacts on the bottom for charging,etc. Several times I'd stick my phone in my pocket with my keys,or loose change,when I'd take it out to use it,it was either completely dead/discharged,or had "magically" turned itself off.

So don't put your phone in a pocket with any kind of metal/keys/coins. ;)

DigitalJunkie said:
People have been burned by "generic" cellphone batteries also,they fail somehow and get *hot*!

Something I've noticed,that's possibly related..My last phone had the little contacts on the bottom for charging,etc. Several times I'd stick my phone in my pocket with my keys,or loose change,when I'd take it out to use it,it was either completely dead/discharged,or had "magically" turned itself off.

So don't put your phone in a pocket with any kind of metal/keys/coins. ;)
Yeah I think it's definitely related. A friend of mine is an auto mechanics instructor, and he had a 9v battery in his pocket for a multi-meter. All of a sudden he felt a hot spot on his leg! Keep in mind this laptop thing is when the comp is just sitting there. The odds of it happening are small but it is definitely a house fire situation.:)

Here is a direct link to the exact ones.:

https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.