I want to understand amplifiers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I am new to the forums. I am not sure what to search for so here is my statement. I have built a Revised Zen and a Bride of Zen. But I don't "understand" how it all works and how I can tweak it. I am a car fanatic, I know what makes horespower because I know how motors work. I know what each mechanical component does and how I can change it to get the results I want (usually involves a huge turbocharger and lot of high octane fuel). So, with that being said, I want to understand how amplifiers work so I can tweak, modify, and expirement. Where should I look to find some explaination? Thank You for answering my totally newbie question!

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you are a mechanical kind of guy, I recommend reading the
original Zen articles and then building the Son of Zen. As an
amplifier, its popularity lives on, and it seems to appeal strongly
to people who understand hardware but feel intimidated by the
electronics.

:cool:

PS. John Linsley Hood's "The Art of Linear Electronics" is coming
back into print soon.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Opus Pocus said:
Hi. I am new to the forums. I am not sure what to search for so here is my statement. I have built a Revised Zen and a Bride of Zen. But I don't "understand" how it all works and how I can tweak it. I am a car fanatic, I know what makes horespower because I know how motors work. I know what each mechanical component does and how I can change it to get the results I want (usually involves a huge turbocharger and lot of high octane fuel). So, with that being said, I want to understand how amplifiers work so I can tweak, modify, and expirement. Where should I look to find some explaination? Thank You for answering my totally newbie question!

http://choky.on.neobee.net/downloads/Bookmarks.rar

download,open and look for books (links)
mebbe it will help

The Pass Labs forum is not necessarily a "horsepower" place. But, you realize, I'm shure, how you can Blueprint and port match and throw in a cam matched to the bore/stroke/induction and exhaust systems. You can set up the timing and carburation, injection and get a much more responsive motor... That's kind of what we are tryin to do. Straiten everything out the way it really should have been, so it does what it's supposed to do with much less mass produced crap and excuses...
Try http://my.integritynet.com.au/purdic/rf_amp.htm and there is some good stuff here http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm Hope that helps.
:D :D :D

The original Zen articles are very good. I discovered the articles a few years ago when I got into the high fidelity scene. As metioned earlier, I have completed the Revised Zen, with 4 extra 10k capacitor and a 2mh coil on each channel to create a negative feedback loop to cancel some of the hum. I then built the Bride of Zen, both were very fun projects. I was 18 when I built them. I am 21 now. I am sad to say that I have never really heard what they can do, my transmission line speakers are fairly inefficient and do not respond well to the ten watter especially in a concrete dorm room. I am in the process of building some more efficient speakers but I am having a hard time deciding how I want to build them. Any driver or enclosure recommedations are welcome, and yes I know this is not the loudspeaker forum but it is Pass related. I am sure you folks know the characteristics of the Zen better than some of the members in the Loudspeaker forum. I was going to build the Son of Zen but I changed my mind and stuck with the original. Once again, thank you all for your help and I look foward to learning a lot in these forums.

Opus, Sorry about my refrences to "Horsepower". I seem to have gotten my point across poorly. The parallels I was thinking of were in regards to excessive Gain and Feedback. Seems to me that is alot like (usually involves a huge turbocharger and lot of high octane fuel).
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

I am not the one to designate the "must have's" or "must read" books. And I would think that the varied levels of knowledge and experience would make that very difficult. But, I'm happy to suggest the books already mentioned on the first page of this thread. The Doug Self book, I've been trying to get myself for almost a year. First they don't have it, but they will. Then, the new version is out, but it's not... I think the new Doug Self version will actually be out in a few weeks. I have read some Blurb's from the book especially the "Blameless Amplifier". I would say definatly worth reading for anyone. An interesting, to the point, informative style...
And, John Linsley Hood's "The Art of Linear Electronics" is very well respected work. But, I don't have a copy of my own yet either.
Personally, I believe I've learned more form these forums than any other one source...
That's my answer(2 cents worth!):D :D :D

will it be out in a few week?
Very good!

i'm going to buy the following books, what about them?

Valve and Transistor Audio Amplifiers -John Linsley Hood-
Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook -Douglas Self- (metioned)
Valve Amplifiers -Morgan Jones-
Building Valve Amplifiers -Morgan Jones-

and of course the art of linear elec as soon as it will be published.

do you guys have any good suggestion for me?

regards,
Stefano.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.