Vintage Technics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vintage Technics

I owned a bunch of Technics Integrated amps when I was in my teen years during the 80's. My favourite was a little fella called SU-Z45. I modified the cooling system with a variable speed fan circuit and I remember it being difficult to fit it inside the small enclosure.

One of my brothers still listens to a 3-way set of Honeycomb Technics speakers!

Nice blast from the past.

Shawn.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
In any case, Technics was the first gear I owned together with a pair of -I think- Waferdales.
I blew up the ‘Dales and bought the 901’s (Don’t shoot :)). I still consider old Technics gear as pretty good and…they had the ‘Look’.

/Hugo

Netlist said:
I still consider old Technics gear as pretty good and…they had the ‘Look’.
Some of that gear still has a good classic look to it.

I had a SL-P7 CD player(same as on the web site above but silver color). The thing was ugly, weighed a ton and put out alot of heat. It was full of discrete logic:) The first CD I purchased was Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense. Nobody even knew what a CD was and the selection at the music store was very limited :)

Hey,

my first own amp was an SA-GX230D.

My first own CD player was an SL-PG380A.

My first own record player was an SL-2000.

I still have got all of them anywhere around. :D
It' s clearly poor man's audio, but I learned a lot about hifi and the industry by disassembling it. :)

I would never buy any Technics hifi stuff again by now, but I don't regret a minute that I used the above gear. Weird, isn't it?

I'm currently refurbishing an SL-1710MkII, btw. :bigeyes:

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Nice to bring up brand Technics as it is only present in music business today, sadly.

Lets see, I was also teen in the 80's.....

I had Receiver SA-400, 2 x 50W witch I remember from the "Darlington output stage" which was a STK052 Hybrid in reality, scale ilumenition sacked with high vol bass, although nice sound after all. Mod thinking was in my young head.....bigger caps...hmmm
And the Equalizer SH-8055 with spectrum anlysator and measurment mic, first step into audio measurments....
And tape deck RSM-253X, Dolby b, c and DBX! 3heads so monitor listening of playback was possible during recording.
Funny though, I still have one tuner left, Technics ST-G570L...but I had to go and read model number...

It's good looking back before looking forward....

Edit:
That site "Vintage Technics", highly recommended for any who want to feel Technics nostalgia!

I run a technics st 9038 tuner in my system (deperately looking for an sh 9038 micom that works) and it beats in sensitivity and sound, noise etc. anyof the revoxes I had - and I had a few.
I like the sparse no nonsense styling and its operation. That is vintage technics. All other tuners I had have left the building (revox as I said, the philips lab tuner, several kenwoods, onkyo t 9090 - which was a little better then the technics, but takes up too much space)

My first CD player

I wish I still had it...just to look at for good times sake.

Shawn.

Attachments

• sl-7p.jpg
    sl-7p.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 269
I used a SU -V550 integrated amp for years --- I remember that the switch routing was totally passive, so you could use it to patch without any power applied - if you really wanted to! Trouble was, as the amp got older, the signal routing got noisier -not good!!

Class AA power amp (whatever that meant!) . I always thought they made the EQ sound bad, just so you'd buy one of their equalisers to make up for it --- or maybe it was just rubbish anyway!:)

i love old technics stuff, i got into audio through vintage receivers and integrateds. i'm a broke university student and old gear is the cheapest way to get good sound. i've got an SA-300 receiver on loan to my friend, an SD-616 tape deck, an SL-23 turntable(my main one) and an SL-220 waiting for a new belt, headshell and cartridge.

the SA-300 benefited from having some bypass caps across the main electros, but those electros are old and only 6800uF per side, i think i'd like to replace them with 10,000 or so sometime. it sounds pretty nice but the bass is a little muddy, doesn't compare to my equally old Superscope R-1270(used to have 10k uF per side, recapped with 15k). much cleaner and punchier bass. certainly looks cool though, and the soccer mom who sold it, the SL-220, the SD-616 and a stack of records to me didn't know what she was getting rid of. as i was walking out of her door she commented "i was young and into music once...", as her kids whined in the background. heh.

anatech said:
Hi Shawn,
That was my first one too. I had two of them.
They were replaced by a succession of better sounding units. I find it hard to miss them.-Chris

That is cool, Hey I said I just wanted to look at it :xeye: I can't imagine for the life of me that it ever did sound good but maybey it did when it was new. I can’t remember. I think the discs themselves and the early machines were all junk? I may be wrong but I do have some old compact discs that are terrible and many of which say remastered on them in the stores now. Remastered…hmm perhaps they are even worse sometimes.

Folks, I was a DJ in dance halls and bars and birthday parties since I was 12 years old until I was in my early twenties! Guys, I owned a lot of technics gear. I can’t even remember all of the stuff I had. There was a lot of buying and selling going on between DJs and kids at school.

...I'll miss my OMS-7 when it goes though.

What is that? Link ? Pic?

Cheers

Shawn.

rogs said:
Class AA power amp (whatever that meant!) . I always thought they made the EQ sound bad, just so you'd buy one of their equalisers to make up for it --- or maybe it was just rubbish anyway!:)

rogs, that is too funny! :) But I think you may be right. I had a su-55 or suv-55 I can't remember the number and I can't see the pic of it in the Vintage Technics Anyway, I bought this thing new and thought the tone control was aweful. Even set to zero positions the thing was coloring the sound badly. I got rid of it within a week. Thats when I traded for the older "champ" SU-Z45. Now that little fella rocked hard and the Fl meters were candy to look at. Good times. Me and my old buddies still talk about that stuff. It cracks us up every time! And now just as entertaining to discuss it here. :)

I had a pocket sized brochure of Technics from the early 80's and I looked for it last week but I just can't seem to find it. I have a couple of boxes full of old Radio Shack rags and early Stereo Review rags(that one was my fav as a teen) and a bunch of other stuff. Someday when I have time, I'll use a feedthrough scanner and digitize it and post it. Some day...

Rambling away here
Shawn.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tom,
Some of those early machines where pretty brittle sounding. I was happy to get away from my units for that reason.

Images of the OMS-7 and type II are here. They both looked the same but the transport and innards were completely different. If they could mate the type II Dac section with a type I transport - WOW!

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.