Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2006, 06:00 PM   #1
ash_dac is offline ash_dac  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Given up on hifi magazines?

Hi,

The hifi magazine I used to read has gone downhill over the ten months have be reading it.

Some examples.. :-

-obsession with themed issues 'mp3', 'vinyl' 'speakers' so I don't even buy some issues
-upgrade articles that are basically adverts
-review descriptions lifted from novels.
-DIY features based on kits by sister companies
-inconsistent arguements within and between issues
-flippant remarks about hifi

Has anyone else given up on hifi magazines ?

...or maybe I'm reading the wrong magazines!
Old 4th August 2006, 06:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
i can't read these, yet the pics and schema are quite vauable

http://www.seibundo-net.co.jp/CGI/se...n&c_bunrui=Z04

http://www.iar.co.jp

http://www.stereosound.co.jp/tkweb/index.php
Old 4th August 2006, 06:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I gave up on HFNRR about 5 years ago -- at one time they did a really excellent job of reviewing records, great DIY stuff (in the 1970's and 1980's) -- now I don't even browse it.

Gramophone is pretty good for recordings. They have an edition oriented toward this side of the Atlantic

In the U.S. Stereophile is the most widely subscribed upper-end magazine -- there have been interesting articles on vintage equipment, Kal Rubinson is a very good and honest reviewer, but there is a huge amount of bombast and hyperbole.
Old 5th August 2006, 12:50 AM   #4
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Many audio brands don't develope equipment themselves, so there really doesn't seem much to write about. I would think it's getting to a point where if you right true reviews, it would seem like reading the same thing every time. Writing about music might be a little better.
Old 5th August 2006, 09:42 PM   #5
C37 is offline C37  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I understand you've given up reading Hifi press since after reading for more than 25 years the " revue du son", HFNRR, and others such as "stereoplay" and many others, I find reading DIY magazines such as "Hobby hifi" and "Klang und Ton" ( both german) or "costruire hifi"( italian) much more satisfying... Maybe that's why I'm enjoying DIY audio.com such much since the past 5 years... And besides, spending the money of these magazines going out to concerts is a much more effective way to have fun...
Old 7th August 2006, 10:13 AM   #6
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I had hoped that HiFiWorld would have followed up the DIY Class D theme, having included the upgrade article of the S.I amp. Sadly their DIY content has gone down and down over the years. It used to be in a separate supplement and is now relgated to a couple of pages at the back two or three times a year. The Class D DIY scene is in my view the best thing that has happened for years. It is cheap and it sounds good. BUT, that may be the problem. Are the major manufacturers suppressing the movement or is it just for those who can be bothered to get their hands dirty and save lots of money ?
Old 7th August 2006, 10:46 AM   #7
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I still read hi-fi magazines as they effectively reflect the market.

Sad to say that the market is not discerning, and neither are the magazines.

They are full of misinformed, lazy, and inconsistent waffle, seems
most hifi journalists nowadays are journalists foremost and lack
any real technical insight into what they are describing, though
sometimes there are genuinely interesting articles.

Rehashing companies PR and marketing blurb is common, and very poor.

/sreten.
Old 7th August 2006, 10:50 AM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Are the major manufacturers suppressing the movement or is it just for those who can be bothered to get their hands dirty and save lots of money ?
Although the image of a manufacturer's cabal, secretly working to keep diy projects out of magazines, is an amusing one, the reality is this: the diy community is a small one and shrinking daily (so is the two channel premium audio community). Magazines merely reflect that. We're a shrinking niche within a shrinking niche.

Integration, digitalization, and the conversion to SMT has taken the wind out of a lot of potential diyers; the days of large, easily handled parts and gear that's simple to disassemble, understand, and repair is pretty much over. Once RoHS (I curse Europe daily for that one!) really takes hold and compatible new parts disappear, the number of hifi diyers will shrink even further and faster.
Old 7th August 2006, 10:53 AM   #9
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I gave up on them long ago for the reasons you outline so well. Are you referring specifically to HiFi World by any chance?

HFW was about the only one that was half decent, now that seems to have gone down the pan as well.
Old 7th August 2006, 11:11 AM   #10
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by sreten
They are full of misinformed, lazy, and inconsistent waffle, seems most hifi journalists nowadays are journalists foremost and lack any real technical insight into what they are describing, though sometimes there are genuinely interesting articles.
Absolutely. I find it amusing when they launch into diatribes about internet forums. HFNRR gave up on DIY articles years ago, and HFW seems to be heading that way.

I've just been informed that my non-RoHS Soviet Teflon capacitors have just arrived. These, together with my pre-RoHS resistors, valve bases, and associated ironmongery will be soldered in an orgy of green recycling using solder that was produced a decade ago. By using up old stockpiles and avoiding current production, I aim to minimise the environmental impact of my hobby. In a further bid to minimise my environmental impact, I pledge to only finish two out of every five projects I start. Further, each finished project will have an average working lifetime of fifteen years before being broken down and the parts being recyled into a new design.

Hide this!Advertise here!