Google and DIYAUDIO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You don't get it, perhaps I'm ominous

Geek said:
I didn't see any propaganda if you use:

"site:www.diyaudio.com [search paramater]"

in the Google search field.

bla bla bla in the long run bla bla bla

Google has the power to dictate the result, get it? Go figure it out dude. It has been under way for years? Since the begining of... man. :) As for now, like I said in the previous post good times now for DIY AUDIO.

Shawn.

Re: You don't get it, perhaps I'm ominous

TomWaits said:

Google has the power to dictate the result

Well perhaps stating the obvious, but last time I checked, the search engine is called Google. It is their search engine, their software, their hardware and they can do with it as they see fit just like any other search engine can and does. Sorry but I just don't see what the big deal is and frankly I like that they are now giving us an expanded result.

Re: You don't get it, perhaps I'm ominous

Hi Tom,

TomWaits said:
Google has the power to dictate the result, get it? Go figure it out dude.

I'm an advertiser on Google, I know what you are referring to.

There is also something called "script loading", which these unethical marketing companies use to bump their crappy services/sites to the top of the list. This isn't Google's fault, but an exploit and they *are* working on correcting it ;)

Cheers!

@Max - your Avi scares me dude :xeye: See you Saturday?

It's my guess Google's expanded result shows the links most hit when visitors hit the splash, which is very interesting. It is possible the expanded result is in order of hit priority? Just wondering? Hey, tubes is second, go figure.

Scroogle...good times :D

Script loading...interesting, got get me some of that ;)

Shawn.

This may only be a spurious observation. Lately, I seem to be getting better results to my searches on altavista and yahoo. Search has turned into an extremely competitive business, and apparently various strategies are being trotted out. I get many more results on altavista and yahoo for the most obscure searches. Often, I'll get results on a search that turned up completely empty on google. Many of the results are distracting rubbish, what google must be very good at filter ing out, and I appreciate that usually, but often I find that there are useful results mixed in that I would never have found on google.

I wonder if for someone with patience and some willingness to do a bit of their own sorting, there may be a better product out there than google at this time. Anyone else noticed this?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
bluebeard said:
I wonder if for someone with patience and some willingness to do a bit of their own sorting, there may be a better product out there than google at this time. Anyone else noticed this?

For many years there has been Dogpile.com - a meta search engine. Google gets most of the stuff, but it is nice to see other results sometimes. The meta search engines put it all on your plate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.