Portable MP3 Speaker help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2006, 03:21 AM   #1
Xspunge is offline Xspunge  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Portable MP3 Speaker help

First off I'm a newbie here, so thank you in advance for any help. Anyway, I am trying to put together a portable speaker system for my MP3 player. I already have a Sonic T Amp, and a li-ion 12v battery to power it, but I need help determining what size "drivers" I am going to use. I have figured on 5.25", 4.5", or 4" ones with one or possibly two tweeters. I also am debating whether to have a custom speaker box built, or just gutting an old center channel speaker. Either way I've already removed the Sonic from its plastic case and will affix it to the inside of the speaker box I choose. I'm going to be drilling holes for the Sonic's pot and LED, and of course a hole for the battery so I can just plug in the charge cord.

After checking out the prices for Apple's iPod Hifi $350US, Altec Lansing's inMotion 7 for $250 and various others I figured I could make one that sounds as good if not better for a heck of a lot less. Surely the Sonic amp is better than anything that comes in either of those speakers, not to mention it does a good job of powering much much larger speakers so it shouldn't have a problem with smaller ones. Dimensions for the Altec iM7 is 19 x 10.5 x 8.5 inches, and the iPod HiFi is 19.5 x 8 x 8 inches. Most center channel speaker dimensions fit well within those parameters and are already drilled for 5.25" drivers, and various sized tweeters. I just have to find a blown one and gut it.

So far I've only been set back about 60 bucks for the battery and the sonic amp, and I can pick up the drivers/woofers/mids and the tweeters on ebay cheap. I should be able to make this for well under $100, and probably even less if I axed the li-ion battery.

Has anyone on this board made a self contained portable speaker system before? If so any help and hints you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Should I stick with my Li-ion battery or should I go for a sealed lead acid type of battery? Again, what driver size would you guys recommend? Any suggestions for case, or if I should even go with a center channel speaker carcass?
Old 31st July 2006, 11:22 AM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...uma/index.html

/sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!