Transient test track - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2006, 11:36 PM   #1
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Transient test track

Hi folks. Tom Danley was kind enough to post a very good recording he made of fireworks on his website that has some spectacular dynamics and transients.

Look at the bottom of the page for the Fireworks link.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/knowledge%20baSE.htm

I learned of this recording when I came across this thread in the Full Range forum:

FYI: Tom Danley's no compression fireworks recording.........

Just so everyone knows, the overcurrent protection on the Tripath chips really work! I had my Ref-T cut out several times while driving it hard into my speakers during the loud transients near the end of the recording.

I'm sure one of the more powerful class d modules and a good subwoofer would really bring this recording to life
Old 30th July 2006, 03:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Very Good!!

Great download ... and a real crowd pleaser ... it is easy to play this stuff through iTunes and TOSLink it the system and audition different speakers ...

Got any links to pink noise, white noise and other such "test" tracks ....
Old 30th July 2006, 06:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ocool_15 Send a message via Yahoo to ocool_15
Very cool! Is it me or does it sound like somethings in the background like wind or the mic being physically adjusted while recording.... Could this be reverbaration/echos or actual content?
Old 30th July 2006, 04:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default wind & boom

I tried playback on my MacBook = = no joy, the booms and such just plain did not come through = unable to make those tiny speakers report anything except the occasional "clicking" that sounded like a jar of crickets.

The playback througn a decent system, however !! ... Dramatic and almost frightening. This is a good test to see if you have any bass response at all. This is a very good test to see if your sub woofers are doing anything too.

(Got a pink noise download link?)

Old 30th July 2006, 09:37 PM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, this is a good one.
Tom posted it in a horn thread over in the loudspeaker section, too.

There was a very cool test CD many years ago that had well recorded fireworks, howitzer shots, trains on tracks, that sort of thing. Very, very difficult to reproduce. I did a DAT recording of a jackhammer once. It was almost impossible to play.

These sorts of explosion tracks will show you how bad your bass really is. Explosions and cannon or gun shots are extremely dynamic and "Dry" or "Matte". If your bass cabinet/drivers/amp has any resonance, overshoot, decay time, etc. the shots will ring and boom. A tight bass with plenty of control will just give you a loud "TOCK", followed later by whatever reverberation was recorded from the environment.

Explosions and gunshots in the movies are always juiced up, they don't sound real - they sound "Better." Easier for must systems to reproduce. Real gunshots and explosions are very brief and dry. They only take on life if the sound bounces off something. Or the bullet does.

Don't be too discouraged by these tracks. They are extremely difficult to reproduce accurately- and very good at showing up the flaws in a system. Thanks to Tom for posting them, the really separate the men from the boys.
Old 30th July 2006, 11:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Below is the waveform of one of the last big Pops on the track. You can see how abrupt it is. Very hard to do clean with most speakers.

Funny thing is, the leading edge is negative - I don't know why. Mic phase, maybe?
Attached Images
File Type: gif pop.gif (32.8 KB, 113 views)
Old 30th July 2006, 11:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Thread moved to more appropriate venue.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 31st July 2006, 06:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default phasing of mic

" ... the leading edge is negative - I don't know why. Mic phase, maybe? ..."

Probably correct. The mic signal may be totally inverted (like an inverting op-amp as the mic pre-amp) ...

The pressure wave from the firework is just like that of any explosive, quickly increasing pressure, followed by the dramatic lowering of pressure ... a "sign like" wave that is shown in your graph as mostly above base line, indicating some electronic or mechanical compression, possibly also induced by the microphone mechanizm.

Old 31st July 2006, 11:15 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, odd...
We'll have to ask Tom what he thinks.

FYI, most of the explosions seem to be centered around either 31Hz, or an octave higher, at 62Hz.

Hide this!Advertise here!