Lol! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2006, 10:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Lol!

http://www.musclebeaver.com/_downloa...orldofvdo.html
Old 26th July 2006, 02:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default That was brilliant

I remember waking up one Saturday morning to find strange audio video equipment in the living room of the house. As it turned out my older brothers pooled their money and had a "VHS Movie Night" at our house on Friday night.

So there I was, no one was up yet, I pulled one of the large cassettes from the even bigger plastic folding holders and I jammed it into the machine.

The first thing I ever saw on VHS was "Scarface"! And to think I was up early on a Saturday morning to catch some toons!

Shawn.
Old 26th July 2006, 06:23 AM   #3
maxro is offline maxro  Canada
diyAudio Member

They jump straight to DVD. What about the earlier, and even more rainforest destroying, Laser Disc?

Max
Old 26th July 2006, 06:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

My father used to have about a billion old BetaMax Tapes in his basement, unfortunatly, his BetaMax VCR burned-up a transformer and he threw it way, with the knowladge of electronics I know today, I could've easily fixed it

My dad was a huge investor in Laser Discs too, I still remember watching Star Wars for the first time ever! that was on Laser Disc.

this video made me smile
Old 26th July 2006, 01:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My dad was a huge investor in Laser Discs too, I still remember watching Star Wars for the first time ever! that was on Laser Disc.

this video made me smile
Probably better than DVD? ;-) (Was it audio or video that was analog on these?)

At my grand parents there's a mono Sanyo Betacord lying in the basement, but w/o any tapes tho.
Old 26th July 2006, 09:19 PM   #6
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What about the earlier, and even more rainforest destroying, Laser Disc?
Yeah, they skipped by that. Probably because the masses didn't know about Laser Discs (unlike the mass appeal of DVD now) I remember when I started collecting DVDs from day one (1997) I would mentioned "DVD" to people and they would look at me funny In fact I was at a collector's show (in 1999) and got Gary Busey to autograph my Buddy Holly Story DVD. He looked at it said "What's this" He had no idea...

I still have a few of my collectible LD's (T2, Toy Story, Schindler's List, Gettysburg, etc..). I just can't get rid of them.

-Ken
Old 27th July 2006, 01:35 AM   #7
maxro is offline maxro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kec
...and got Gary Busey to autograph my Buddy Holly Story DVD. He looked at it said "What's this" He had no idea...
Well, it could just be that Mr. Busey has taken a few too many blows to the head as a result of helmetless motorbike riding.

Max
Old 27th July 2006, 01:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMaster

Probably better than DVD? ;-) (Was it audio or video that was analog on these?)

At my grand parents there's a mono Sanyo Betacord lying in the basement, but w/o any tapes tho.

The video was of a higher quality, however a lower resolution, The audio wasn't very good, as hardly any titles had dolby digital
Old 27th July 2006, 02:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The audio wasn't very good, as hardly any titles had dolby digital
I looked and there are analog channels, so audio could be better than DD. (Unless they only used the PCM tracks??)
Old 27th July 2006, 12:56 PM   #10
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

(Was it audio or video that was analog on these?)
Video was analog, audio usually had both, digital and analog.

Quote:
Originally posted by alexmoose

The audio wasn't very good, as hardly any titles had dolby digital
Are you kidding? There were many LDs with Dolby Digital, which was also known as AC-3. There were even DTS audio formats too. DD and DTS started on LD.

Quote:

I looked and there are analog channels, so audio could be better than DD. (Unless they only used the PCM tracks??)
Not necessarily. IMO the digital tracks (DD, DTS, PCM) sounded better.

-Ken

Hide this!Advertise here!