diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Lol! (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/83751-lol.html)

DragonMaster 25th July 2006 10:57 PM

Lol!

http://www.musclebeaver.com/_downloa...orldofvdo.html

TomWaits 26th July 2006 02:52 AM

That was brilliant

I remember waking up one Saturday morning to find strange audio video equipment in the living room of the house. As it turned out my older brothers pooled their money and had a "VHS Movie Night" at our house on Friday night.

So there I was, no one was up yet, I pulled one of the large cassettes from the even bigger plastic folding holders and I jammed it into the machine.

The first thing I ever saw on VHS was "Scarface"! And to think I was up early on a Saturday morning to catch some toons! :D

Shawn.

maxro 26th July 2006 06:23 AM

They jump straight to DVD. What about the earlier, and even more rainforest destroying, Laser Disc?

Max

alexmoose 26th July 2006 06:39 AM

My father used to have about a billion old BetaMax Tapes in his basement, unfortunatly, his BetaMax VCR burned-up a transformer and he threw it way, with the knowladge of electronics I know today, I could've easily fixed it:bawling:

My dad was a huge investor in Laser Discs too, I still remember watching Star Wars for the first time ever! that was on Laser Disc.

this video made me smile

DragonMaster 26th July 2006 01:50 PM

Quote:

My dad was a huge investor in Laser Discs too, I still remember watching Star Wars for the first time ever! that was on Laser Disc.

this video made me smile
Probably better than DVD? ;-) (Was it audio or video that was analog on these?)

At my grand parents there's a mono Sanyo Betacord lying in the basement, but w/o any tapes tho.

kec 26th July 2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

What about the earlier, and even more rainforest destroying, Laser Disc?
Yeah, they skipped by that. Probably because the masses didn't know about Laser Discs (unlike the mass appeal of DVD now) I remember when I started collecting DVDs from day one (1997) I would mentioned "DVD" to people and they would look at me funny :) In fact I was at a collector's show (in 1999) and got Gary Busey to autograph my Buddy Holly Story DVD. He looked at it said "What's this" He had no idea...

I still have a few of my collectible LD's (T2, Toy Story, Schindler's List, Gettysburg, etc..). I just can't get rid of them.

-Ken

maxro 27th July 2006 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kec
...and got Gary Busey to autograph my Buddy Holly Story DVD. He looked at it said "What's this" He had no idea...
Well, it could just be that Mr. Busey has taken a few too many blows to the head as a result of helmetless motorbike riding.

Max

alexmoose 27th July 2006 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DragonMaster

Probably better than DVD? ;-) (Was it audio or video that was analog on these?)

At my grand parents there's a mono Sanyo Betacord lying in the basement, but w/o any tapes tho.

The video was of a higher quality, however a lower resolution, The audio wasn't very good, as hardly any titles had dolby digital

DragonMaster 27th July 2006 02:10 AM

Quote:

The audio wasn't very good, as hardly any titles had dolby digital
I looked and there are analog channels, so audio could be better than DD. (Unless they only used the PCM tracks??)

kec 27th July 2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

(Was it audio or video that was analog on these?)

Video was analog, audio usually had both, digital and analog.

Quote:

Originally posted by alexmoose

The audio wasn't very good, as hardly any titles had dolby digital

Are you kidding? There were many LDs with Dolby Digital, which was also known as AC-3. There were even DTS audio formats too. DD and DTS started on LD.

Quote:

I looked and there are analog channels, so audio could be better than DD. (Unless they only used the PCM tracks??)

Not necessarily. IMO the digital tracks (DD, DTS, PCM) sounded better.

-Ken