pre-amp to match drivers/speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2006, 05:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default pre-amp to match drivers/speakers

Hi guys,
I'm new to all this stuff and I'm getting sort of bogged down in the unbelievable amount of information there is to learn.

One question that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet is: If I build a pre-amp that I will connect my mp3 player/computer to, how do I know how to build speakers that will match that pre-amp?

I don't mean this in a subjective "does this sound better or worse" kind of way. I mean: how do I know if this DIY Speaker project will even work with this DIY preamp project? Will any set of 8 ohm drivers work with any stereo pre-amp I build?

Also, any driver manufaturer suggestions? I'm not looking to buy "the best" or "the cheapest" but a solid, well-performing set of speakers/drivers.

Just sort of lost.

Thanks for any help guys!
Old 24th July 2006, 02:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: pre-amp to match drivers/speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by Dangeruss
Hi guys,
I'm new to all this stuff and I'm getting sort of bogged down in the unbelievable amount of information there is to learn.

One question that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet is: If I build a pre-amp that I will connect my mp3 player/computer to, how do I know how to build speakers that will match that pre-amp?

I don't mean this in a subjective "does this sound better or worse" kind of way. I mean: how do I know if this DIY Speaker project will even work with this DIY preamp project? Will any set of 8 ohm drivers work with any stereo pre-amp I build?

Also, any driver manufaturer suggestions? I'm not looking to buy "the best" or "the cheapest" but a solid, well-performing set of speakers/drivers.

Just sort of lost.

Thanks for any help guys!

This is a tough question(to figure out) for a begginer like i once was(and still am a little) about the whole speaker business! The wealth of information available is almost too much. Now don't quote me, but any 8 ohm driver should match your 8 ohm preamp. 8 ohm is probably the most common resistance used so most things listing abilities to run many different resistances will run optimum on 8 ohm. This is my take on it. You may want to wait for a more experienced member to reply because this is only my BEST GUESS. I think I do have a fairly good handle on this though.

Hide this!Advertise here!