pre-amp to match drivers/speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
I'm new to all this stuff and I'm getting sort of bogged down in the unbelievable amount of information there is to learn.

One question that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet is: If I build a pre-amp that I will connect my mp3 player/computer to, how do I know how to build speakers that will match that pre-amp?

I don't mean this in a subjective "does this sound better or worse" kind of way. I mean: how do I know if this DIY Speaker project will even work with this DIY preamp project? Will any set of 8 ohm drivers work with any stereo pre-amp I build?

Also, any driver manufaturer suggestions? I'm not looking to buy "the best" or "the cheapest" but a solid, well-performing set of speakers/drivers.

Just sort of lost.

Thanks for any help guys!

Dangeruss said:
Hi guys,
I'm new to all this stuff and I'm getting sort of bogged down in the unbelievable amount of information there is to learn.

One question that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet is: If I build a pre-amp that I will connect my mp3 player/computer to, how do I know how to build speakers that will match that pre-amp?

I don't mean this in a subjective "does this sound better or worse" kind of way. I mean: how do I know if this DIY Speaker project will even work with this DIY preamp project? Will any set of 8 ohm drivers work with any stereo pre-amp I build?

Also, any driver manufaturer suggestions? I'm not looking to buy "the best" or "the cheapest" but a solid, well-performing set of speakers/drivers.

Just sort of lost.

Thanks for any help guys!

This is a tough question(to figure out) for a begginer like i once was(and still am a little) about the whole speaker business! The wealth of information available is almost too much. Now don't quote me, but any 8 ohm driver should match your 8 ohm preamp. 8 ohm is probably the most common resistance used so most things listing abilities to run many different resistances will run optimum on 8 ohm. This is my take on it. You may want to wait for a more experienced member to reply because this is only my BEST GUESS. I think I do have a fairly good handle on this though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.