tape wont record - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2006, 08:42 AM   #1
sdoom is offline sdoom  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default tape wont record

hi @ all.

I got a tape (Pioneer CT-W300) that wont record at all. This is a dual - tape. Tape A only can playback, Tape B can playback and record.

Both tapes play back correctly.

If I feed an input signal to the inputs both level meters work correctly , level can be adjusted with the record level shifter, too. But when finished recording, there is still the old music on the tape as it was before . Sometimes it is audible, that the recording is there in the background, but very silent and not all the time.

I have a good understanding of reparing amplifiers but I only have little knowledge about tapes. I checked the TAPE B tone-heads (fully metal type) with an ohmmeter and both coils read 220 Ohms, compared eith TAPE A I have the same readings there.

There is an additional black plastic type head in TAPE B. I assume that is a "delete head" ? It reads only 1,4 Ohms.

I tried to measure the voltage across this plastic head, and it is always 0.00V, regardless if in playback or recording mode. Is this section faulty ?

Am I right if I say, the delete head deletes the tape in record-mode and the fully metal head is used for both playback and recording ?

Thx,

Stephan
Old 18th July 2006, 08:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sounds like the bias/erase oscillator is hosed.

Can you scope for an HF signal superimposed on the audio signal on record?
Old 18th July 2006, 08:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Can I scope that signal directly on the "delete head" - leds ?

What frequency should that signal aprox. have ?
Old 18th July 2006, 08:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yup! But have your scope on the highest range.

For something in that range, expect a bias frequency of ~85KHz. Not too critical.
Old 18th July 2006, 09:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

ok I will try to scope tonight at home. I ll let you know what I can figure out.

Thx again

Stephan
Old 19th July 2006, 03:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default no signal

Hi again,

I tried to measure the voltage across the plastc head when recording, there is nothing. I tried the scope and the DMM , both have no readings.

I fed a sine (10kHz) into the inputs and started recording. I can red the 10kHz sine on the metal head for each channel. The sine is clear and free from distortion.

BTW, is 1.4 Ohms a nomal value for the delete head ?

Thx again, Stephan
Old 19th July 2006, 04:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I resoldered the whole board to make sure its not a bad solder joint, but no luck
Old 19th July 2006, 09:42 PM   #8
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

OK, you need to start checking around the bias oscillator. You'll recognise the area by the inductor - it's usually a pretty simple cct, so shouldn't take too much troubleshooting
Old 19th July 2006, 09:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

so if I understand correctly: the "delete" head is "powered" with A/C and prepares the tape, so that the normal heads can record the music signal ?

one section of the curcuit board is labeled with "bias " and there are two pods , one for left one for right channel..... There are not many parts, four transistors, couple of resistors and capacitors , an IC ( C1290 from NEC ) and a small coil assembly ( Ive seen those only in TV sets and radios so far) .

Ok when I find the time I will check all the parts in this section.
Old 20th July 2006, 01:18 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The bias oscillator performs two important functions - to erase the previous material and remove any unwanted magnetic biases on the tape with the erase head, as well as sweep the tape across its linear B-H curve and allow recording of material without distortion.

No bias, no erase, no recording.

Try to not adjust the pots you found, they are critical. Test the transistor near the big inductor. It most likely failed, oe some electrolytic in the area. It's rare that the iductor itself fails.

Low DCR is OK, because its inductance will be high at the oscillator frequency. Be careful to keep DC out of those windings, even an ohm meter. You will need to demagnetize the heads (or have someone do it for you) after servicing.

Hide this!Advertise here!