Teflon - A registered trademark - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2006, 06:19 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Doesn't work that way. I've battled (and won!) against people like Nameprotect, who search for hidden tags and words.

You CAN say, "PTFE coated wire. PTFE is better known as "Teflon" ".

With a (c) to DuPont regarding Teflon.

Double check your laws.
Old 17th July 2006, 08:13 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
Then you can grab the Dupont Lawyer by his $3 tie, haul him arcoss his desk,and tell him to take a long hard suck on your backside.
/me...now cleaning the Diet Coke from my keyboard and monitor after I read that...

Old 18th July 2006, 01:07 AM   #13
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey, I write that stuff -- just for those beautiful moments. Glad to see I haven't lost my touch.

but I will say it is stolen without shame, from the MacLean & MacLean (brothers) Canadian comedy album, "MacLean & MacLean Suck Their Way To The Top."

Side two, of this gloriously erudite masterpiece was a different album, called "MacLean & MacLean Take the 'o' out of Country."

Not for the timid of, er, language. Foul, that is.

http://www.macleanandmaclean.com/
Old 18th July 2006, 06:11 AM   #14
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Do you really think Dupont would let the patent on Teflawn laps?? I find that unlikely.

Hmmmmm.... it really seems like their lawyers ought to have better things to do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon

"The EPA's scientific advisory board found in 2005 that perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), a chemical compound used to make Teflon, is a "likely carcinogen." This finding was part of a draft report[4] that has yet to be made final. DuPont settled for $300 million in a 2004 lawsuit filed by residents near its manufacturing plant in Ohio and West Virginia based on groundwater pollution from this chemical. Currently this chemical is not regulated by the EPA.

In January 2006, DuPont, the only company that manufactures PFOA in the US, has agreed to eliminate releases of the chemical from its manufacturing plants by 2015, but did not commit to completely phasing out its use of the chemical. This agreement is said to apply to not only Teflon used in cookware but in other products such as food packaging, clothing and carpeting. DuPont also stated that it cannot produce Teflon without the use of the chemical PFOA, although it is looking for a substitute."

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Health/Nsa...cancerrisk.htm

You'll love this one too:

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/chem/teflon_ptfe.html

Just imagine if microshaft started saying "hey.. you can't use windows...", hang on, they did try that.

Whatever, ask them if it's ok to say :

"Our wire uses PTFE, associated with Dupont's Teflon, found polluting your water supply, poisoning you through your cookware since before you were born, clothes, carpet, oceans, and generally polluting the world over through mass chemical spills with various cancer causing agents, or directly through your food supply. Why do we use it? Simply, it's the best."
Old 18th July 2006, 10:49 AM   #15
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Do you really think Dupont would let the patent on Teflawn laps?? I find that unlikely.
Not only likely, but it is true. Patents are good for a fixed term (17 or 20 years, depending on era and jurisdiction), and cannot be renewed. The trademark Teflon is a different matter. One can make a cola drink, but cannot call it "Coke" or use the "Coke" tradename to promote it.
Old 18th July 2006, 12:28 PM   #16
Account Disabled

They "can't" be renewed after 20? No kidding. So if you patent something you've got twenty years to make your fortune on it... or the industry can just hinder you for twenty years and then reinvent it.... Q# %(*%^!#(!@#$
Old 18th July 2006, 12:35 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One can make a cola drink, but cannot call it "Coke" or use the "Coke" tradename to promote it.
Actually the true coca cola formula has never been patented, just because this 20 year expiration period. If coca cola had been patented when invented, we would all know the formula by now!

Erik
Old 18th July 2006, 01:09 PM   #18
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by classd4sure
They "can't" be renewed after 20? No kidding. So if you patent something you've got twenty years to make your fortune on it... or the industry can just hinder you for twenty years and then reinvent it.... Q# %(*%^!#(!@#$
Pretty much, yeah. The European system is particularly rigged against individual inventors and small companies.

But, to be fair, the scenario you outline is unlikely and rare. You've got a 20 year monopoly on your idea in exchange for revealing it.
Old 18th July 2006, 01:26 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Irv Shapiro took the helm of DuPont in the early 1970's -- and he was a lawyer --
Old 18th July 2006, 01:29 PM   #20
Account Disabled

I dont' know how credible it is, probably not very, but last week I was reading how once upon a time hemp was extremely wide use for all kinds of products. Dupont had a big hand in ensuring the dawn of the "war against drugs" in order to ensure it got demonized and done away with. Thereby ensuring a very wide market for all their synthetics.

Hide this!Advertise here!