Norton Internet Security 2006 - don't buy it! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2006, 03:24 PM   #11
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Good grief, I didn't expect to unleash this amount of vitriol!

To give them their due, Comet refunded the money to my credit card without any major quibble. Having seen how much of my resources are squandered by Norton, I'll be uninstalling it tout de suite and installing some freeware instead.

As for the Unusable Power Supply, let's hope John Hope Engineer's Red Mist doesn't ever meet one.
Old 12th July 2006, 03:41 PM   #12
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default NIS 2006

Guy, Guys

John Hope made my day. John Hope is now included in my private little toast late each night, when I drink a glass of good port, toasting the previous owners of my vinyl, for looking after the stuff and allowing me to play them and enjoy them again.

As for the suppliers of duff equipment, may they have interesting times...

@EC8010 Nice to hear from you! A long time ago, I had AVG stuff which worked well. For some reason or other, my computer technician uninstalled that and replaced it with NIS. Come to think about it, he probably needed a turnover boost.

Cheers

bulgin
Old 12th July 2006, 10:30 PM   #13

I gave up on Norton loooong ago...in the DOS era it was good stuff...always did more harm than good in the Windows era.
Old 12th July 2006, 11:18 PM   #14
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Seems to me that every thing Symantec get their hands on turns into disaster.

Take for example Norton Ghost and Veritas Backup Exec they are not any longer what they used to be.
Old 12th July 2006, 11:31 PM   #15
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Norton Antivirus is still the only antivirus program worth the name. People have always complained about it consuming computer power. But the other antivirus programs consume no computer power because they do nothing at all.

I stopped using Ghost years ago and have never used the other Symantec products.

Having that said, I run my desktop and laptop without antivirus programs. I let the licences laps. I do use ZoneAlarm, a program I couldn't be without. How else would I know what goes on inside the PC? And I have free versions of Ad-Aware and Spybot (mostly because they are free), though I rarely use them. Nowadays I never visit sites that can do any harm. No file sharing, no nothing.
Old 12th July 2006, 11:46 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phn
Norton Antivirus is still the only antivirus program worth the name. People have always complained about it consuming computer power. But the other antivirus programs consume no computer power because they do nothing at all.
Which antivirus progam is best changes from test to test and from week to week. Last time I checked a test, Kaspersky and Antivir were in the top in number of detected viruses, but that was a while ago.

For those of you who want to check if your firewall at least passes minimum security requirements, this is the place to check it:
http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

Any decent firewall should run in stealth mode, so a foreign computer can't even know if there is a computer at the IP address it is trying to contact.
Old 12th July 2006, 11:48 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 4fun
Seems to me that every thing Symantec get their hands on turns into disaster.

Take for example Norton Ghost and Veritas Backup Exec they are not any longer what they used to be.
There was a rather good competing program from Powerquest, that did basically the same thing as Ghost. Symantec bought them, and the Powerquest program is no more. As far as I am told, also Ghost no longer does what these two programs were useful for, making a perfect image of a partition.
Old 12th July 2006, 11:59 PM   #18
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Quote:
Originally posted by Christer

There was a rather good competing program from Powerquest, that did basically the same thing as Ghost. Symantec bought them, and the Powerquest program is no more. As far as I am told, also Ghost no longer does what these two programs were useful for, making a perfect image of a partition.

So true!
Today Acronis has quite good reputation as partition restorer and more i hope they not get swallowed by Symantec to.
Old 13th July 2006, 12:10 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Drive Image that was. Great program under win98.
On winXP machines it worked very, very slowly and you had to repair windows afterwards. On a XP machine ALLWAYS run the program from a repair diskette and not the dos mode. The program then wants to reboot in DOS mode, but somehow it locks up. Everytime I restarted it tried start Drive Image. After trying several things I was fed up with it and formatted c and reinstalled everything.

I till use Powerquest Partition Magic alot. Works great on an XP machine.
Old 13th July 2006, 12:33 AM   #20
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

Quote:
For those of you who want to check if your firewall at least passes minimum security requirements, this is the place to check it:
http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
Yes, very nice. Now which is the bit we're interested in?

Hide this!Advertise here!