Logic Analyzers 101???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone familier with the use of Logic Analyzers?

Im curious to know more about them. the basics of how to use them etc Logic An 101

I have unknown data buss line that i think is simple serial communication. I want to snoop the buss and try and figure out what the protocol is and what the command lines are when various buttons are pressed.

is there a simple, easy to use device on the market??

Zc

A logic analyzer is nothing more than an multichannel oscilloscope with deep memory whose vertical scale is 1's and 0's. It is actually a very easy device to use. Very simplistically, all you do is tell the LA what type of logic you are using so it knows what voltage level are 0's and 1's and what to trigger on. Actually a better device for you to use is a Buss Analyzer if you could find one. Not knowing what type of buss it is will be a real handicap.

If it's serial, a digital storage 'scope might be all you need to capture a message. Or a regular 'scope should at least give you an idea of the timing and voltage levels.
If you've got a local instrument rental outfit, maybe you could bring your target to their shop and they can help you select an appropriate tool.
Or just try this practically free logic analyzer that uses your computer's parallel port:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jwasys/old/diy2.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.