It must be a conspiracy!/venting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It must be a conspiracy!

Why is it, that every time I go out of town, something really strange happens here?

First, "Harry" becomes "Art of Noise", and drives everyone nuts.

Second, right before I leave again, he is banned permanently. And while I am gone, some of you guys think that I am him because I am silent. And he reappears under his real name.

Now, that I am fixing to leave again, Frank is banned.

And just what did Frank do? A few pranks? Some empty posts, trying to make fun of the "Enlightened" status? Stand up for himself when he is attacked personally? That amounts to banning? Give me a break.

Every day, my inbox is full of requests from guys seeking help. But lately, it is full of complaints about the moderators.

Why is it, when a moderator......acting in a non-moderator role, does some of the crap we get thrown in the SInBin for, all that happens is that he gets to edit it out, and make a wimpy apology?

What is good for the geese, is good for the gander.

Well, I am to the point I have heard enough complaining about this place. My trip, just like Frank's new job, comes at a good time. Maybe I will return.....maybe not. Maybe you will ban me when I am out of touch, so that I cannot respond. I really do not care anymore.

I strongly feel that the moderators need to lighten up a bit, and learn how to be held accountable for their non-moderator actions.

The irony in all this is, that I really like one of the guys that everyone complains about so much. Maybe he needs a trip out of town, too. A change of scenery might perk him up some. (Where I am going, it will be too cold to perk me up, so I will return the same horse's butt I am now.)

Anyway.......you guys have a month or two to sort all this out without my help or interference.

Ciao,

Jocko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
oops, that post button is just too close to browse...

Attachments

• 10_97_5_69.jpg
    10_97_5_69.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 744
Certain of the moderators do take themselves too seriously. But for example Peter Daniel is harmless.

Every exchange forum like this one passes through a phase of chaos. The best we can hope for is to learn from all the examples that came before.

On the weekend i posted totally senseless in a speaker thread.
I was that happy with my DAC at this moment it seems i had to tell
everybody. After a long tour downtown.
Luckily it was ignored. Myself can just sink into ground when i read it.

But this is how it happens. Some times you have bad times privately
sometimes you have a beautiful time. This all will influence the way
you write in a forum.

It is very rare somebody is asking for condition or why someone wrote
something rude. It is easier to give the same impolite answer.
There it goes.

Just some thoughts.

Wombat

Who's most at fault here?

Actually, I found Franks retort rather more humerous than threatening: you'll be hearing from my attourney doesn't mean the same thing in Europe as America. I'm not surprised he reacted when a moderator threatened him, then edited his own post to remove the threatening text, which was not a "telling off", but was a hateful monologue, which I believe the forum forbids.

There is so much stuff going on I don't know what is jocko talking about, I tried to go back and look at the whole incident, searched fdegrove posts to try and figure out what happened, between the search engine being absolute crap (brings up half of all the threads) and the moderators erasing posts left and right it is absolutely impossible to figure out what happened.
I have seen a series of nice, helpful exchange between fdegrove and others including moderators how that degenerated into calling attorneys is way bejond my grasp.
I believe I was the victim of an unjustly long sinbin sentence in the past, without warning that is usually given to other more priviledged users, so I can relate to the moderators being full of it. :nod:
I am definitely glad I don't hang out in the tube area. I guess too much radiation from vacuum tubes is taking a toll on the brain function of quite a few people in there. :zombie:

jbw
I don't consider Peter to be harmless, he is simply good. Setting himself above the crowd, he diffuses situations with a couple of ;) ;) and that's the end of it. Basically he is the best moderator in this place. Ok enough ak-ing.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I happened to catch the “Trash Bin" before it was emptied today, and I went back to look at the thread in question. I’ve got to say I am infinitely baffled (that’s for the Kelticwizard:wiz: ) how a difference of opinion escalates to someone being banned from the forum.:ghost:

I must admit, if it has not been obvious, that I don’t have a very high s/n ratio in my posts compared to others on the forum, but Frank’s s/n ratio was much higher then mine. But what’s more is that he alway backed his opinions and statments, and he was congenial in the way he dealt with others on the forum.

There’s a moral to this story, there are some people you can disagree with, and some people you’d better not or else.:headshot:

Disappointed,:sigh: so I think I'll go watch the Redwings game.
Rodd Yamashita

My Turn To Vent My Spleen....

Bernard, I find you to be a conceited, snivelling, closed minded, audio idiot sometimes.
Just because you prefer hugely expensive Fertin or whatever drivers is not basis for your recent (and ongoing behaviour) personal tirade against the likes of Frank.
Your s/n ratio is not infinite either remember, lest you appear in public as a hypocryte.
Please realise that you are dealing with guys who are trained and practised (long term) in electronics and audio in particular, and who have probably forgotten more than you have ever learned.
These members (Jocko, Phred, Frank, Nelson, Brett, myself even and others I have not mentioned) are in a position to speak with authority and vast experience, and whilst sometimes opinionated are doing so from a realistic and economic viewpoint.
USD $1000 and more for a driver with QA problems ? - get real.
Promoting such a product only encourages the fool who designed it to continue along their path of severely ripping off the unwitting consumer.
USD $1000 for a pile of materials that on first inspection any Taiwan factory could send out the door in a cardboard box without any QA issues for 10 bucks is extortion of the highest order.
I mean some niche audio makers really do have tickets on themselves - how come Asians can make perfectly reliable and sonically acceptable products for a fraction of what these self appointed audio gods demand.
If magnets kept falling off a motor car, there would be front page recall notices in all newspapers.
Bad engineering is bad engineering, period.

So Bernard, just why is it that you take such grave exception to Frank when nobody else here is bothered at all with his selfless sharing of knowledge ?.
Is it to do with some kind of Deutche/Belgium border dispute going back centuries ?.
Or is more to do with an inferiority issue that you caress and hold on to, or is it due to bad tempered intolerance on your part ?.
It has been discussed behind the scenes that you desperately need a visit to the local red light district for some relief.
If it is because of your disabling headaches, then you need to get to the root cause and correct it.
Big Big hint - Phenolics (bakelite etc) and many old materals as used in old electronics emit phenolic and PolyChlorinatedBiphenol fumes, and in a closed environment at very low concentrations, these will make you ill, very ill, and jumpy and sensitive - that s..t is a bad drug.

By your process, good fellows have been chased away, and whilst some come back periodically, they do so without the same enthusiasm after attacks and bans from you.
People like Frank do not bother me in the slightest, the likes of the new incarnation of Gromanswe do bother me, and the disinformation that keeps coming from some younger and overly loud and inexperienced youngsters is a PITA.
The old hands here are needed to keep some reality, so STOP CHASING THEM AWAY, OK ?.
Oh, and lighten up a little too. ;)

Eric, the banned too probably. :rolleyes:

Oh and another thing, Frank stating that he will get the legal vultures on to you was meant as a pure joke.
Like get real, who is going to be bothered with spending hard earned money on a lawsuit against the likes of DIY ?.
It was merely a curt, polite and witty retort to your rant, Bernard.
Banning for threatening behavior indeed - get a reality check guys before this place turns into a pile of dog turd.

Your s/n ratio is not infinite either remember
Well said. I think with a little more humility and restraint the moderation of this forum could be much improved. I've said it before and I'll say it again: only the most egregious offenses should result in banning. Perhaps this is just a philisophical difference in my part, but it seems to me that we lose people like Grey just to such idealogical rifts.

I'm of the opinion that we should take people as they come, and if their rough edges are tempered by valuable knowledge, then everyone ends up winning. Although we should welcome newbies and try not to bite their heads off, the body and soul of this forum is found in the experts that make it worth consulting. Newbies will continue to come, but once all the experienced designers have fled it is harder to attract new ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.