safe, twitch, burn or die? refer to the chart - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2006, 07:13 PM   #1
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

Post safe, twitch, burn or die? refer to the chart

has anyone else seen this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flukesafety.jpg (83.8 KB, 272 views)
Old 6th July 2006, 06:03 AM   #2
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Good thing it is probable!

I've been way above their 'fatal' mark, more times than I can remember. I've been respartorily (word?) inhibited at least 3-or 5 times, I think........ minor high voltage (+250-300VDC and over 500VDC), at -least- 50 times. (Tube amps! Gah!) Overall, electrocuted a few hundred times, maybe. Maybe I'm exaggerating. But not by much. I haven't been zapped in, oh..gee..at least a few months. I'm gettin' better at it! (NOT getting electrocuted, that is)

Maybe that's why I can't remember.......
Old 6th July 2006, 07:03 AM   #3
maxro is offline maxro  Canada
diyAudio Member

I suppose you could use this chart to calibrate your body for use as an ammeter? "Well, I would say that I was surprised. So, let's see...1-4 mA." Most usefull, indeed.

Max
Old 6th July 2006, 07:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Didn't Mythbusters find the actual fatal current to be 6mA at 60Hz?
Old 6th July 2006, 08:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

what, they killed somebody? not very likely if you ask me!

or:

possibly, depending on the voltage. 12V 6mA wouldn't scare me in the slightest!

1200V 6mA I wouldn't go close to, without it being discharged for a while...
Old 6th July 2006, 08:34 PM   #6
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've been hit by an Electrohome Marquee 'spellman' brand HV supply before.

34.5kV, 11Ma.

Ouch.

That'll get you up in the mornin'!!....or at least give people somebody to look at in a casket.
Old 6th July 2006, 09:34 PM   #7
Bakmeel is offline Bakmeel  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The trick is in the the electrical resistance of a human body; it drops rapidly for higher voltages. For example: at 25V, the average resistance is around 3kOhm. For 200V, its less than 15 Ohm. Above 1kV it drops below 1 Ohm, and you are just another conductor...

Then, of course, the resistance depends on the skin area making contact. for 10mm2 the above values are valid. For 100mm2, the values are 10% of that. But: above 200V these factors won't matter anymore.

Calculate the current through your body for the given voltage, and find out wether you will die or not

Finally, HF currents are more lethal than DC or 50Hz AC. HF currents cause flesh burning without you even feeling it before smelling it.

Take care
Bakmeel
Old 7th July 2006, 03:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bakmeel
The trick is in the the electrical resistance of a human body; it drops rapidly for higher voltages. For example: at 25V, the average resistance is around 3kOhm. For 200V, its less than 15 Ohm. Above 1kV it drops below 1 Ohm, and you are just another conductor...

Then, of course, the resistance depends on the skin area making contact. for 10mm2 the above values are valid. For 100mm2, the values are 10% of that. But: above 200V these factors won't matter anymore.

Calculate the current through your body for the given voltage, and find out wether you will die or not

Finally, HF currents are more lethal than DC or 50Hz AC. HF currents cause flesh burning without you even feeling it before smelling it.

Take care
Bakmeel
If I'm recalling correctly, Nicola Tesla did allot of HF AC experimentation in the late 1800s-early 1900s. Accounts from those who visited his laboratory(s) have been of him passing LARGE amounts of high voltage/high frequency AC over himself & Guests brave enough to be subjected to it..with no harm what so ever.

While I would have loved to have met and talked to the man, I realize that not all of the "Hype" surrounding his life and exploits are 100% true.....Still,
He was Truly, a man WAY ahead of his time.

Tall Shadow
Old 7th July 2006, 07:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

"over" is not the same as "through"

when voltages are silly-high and currents low, the juice flows around the outside... that's why schoolkids don't die when they hold hands around the HV generator, and the Van deGraf (sp?) generator won't (always) kill you...
Old 7th July 2006, 07:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stocker
"over" is not the same as "through"

when voltages are silly-high and currents low, the juice flows around the outside... that's why schoolkids don't die when they hold hands around the HV generator, and the Van deGraf (sp?) generator won't (always) kill you...

Yes, HV at very low amperage won't hurt you, but Tesla was using (My understanding) Very High frequency, at High Voltage. It has been described as "lightning dancing all over his body".

I don't know if anyone is doing anything like what he was doing way back then, today. I am not up on what the "State of the art" research in this field is.

Tall Shadow

Hide this!Advertise here!