Flame speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2006, 01:05 AM   #1
Nixie is offline Nixie  Canada
Banned

Default Flame speakers

LOL
http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/Popular...lification.htm
Anyone DIY this?
Old 29th June 2006, 05:58 AM   #2
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Nope, but I'm thinking of the world's coolest amp stack for concert duty.
Old 29th June 2006, 08:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yup! Radio-Electronics magazine in the early 80's had a project based on this
Old 29th June 2006, 09:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I love the photo of the super-nerdy Three Scientists listening to music. They could be triplets but they all have different names.
Old 29th June 2006, 12:47 PM   #5
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Quote:
Originally posted by bremen nacht
I love the photo of the super-nerdy Three Scientists listening to music. They could be triplets but they all have different names.

Haha.... it's making me think of Roswell /UFO's for some reason.
Old 29th June 2006, 01:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I saw that magazine article and successfully duplicated the experiment in my high school electronics lab class back about 1971 or '72. I had trouble getting suitable material for the electrodes. If you want to try this today may I recommend getting thoriated tungsten tig welding electrode rods from your hood's welding shop. The wick seeding the flame with pottasium nitrate worked for me. It was so impressive that my electronics teacher arranged for the physics class to come have a demo.
Old 29th June 2006, 01:10 PM   #7
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

How did it sound?
Old 29th June 2006, 01:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, I also remember reading about that some time back in the 70's. I have always wondered if the flame itself is silent enough? Usually you can hear a burning flame, but it depends on at what rate you are burning gas, of course. I suppose the cost of running those speakers would be prohibitive in the long run anyway.
Old 29th June 2006, 01:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwill
How did it sound?
It would only work intermittently because you had to establish a plasma between the electrodes. It would go for ten or fifteen seconds sometimes. That could be corrected by a proper design. Aside from the rush of the torch flamre the sound was absolutely sparkling clear. No bass of course.

You can get a similar effect by modulating a vacuum tube Tesla coil and listening to the brush discharge in air. I've set that experiment up on the bench many times over the years. It is a real crowd pleaser.
Old 29th June 2006, 11:06 PM   #10
Nixie is offline Nixie  Canada
Banned

Combustion is not a great idea to get plasma. Hill's solution in the Plasmatronic speakers was much better, and he also bothered to calculate things such as optimal plasma shape for flat frequency response, etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!