Military aircraft reminiscences - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2006, 11:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Ahh, the bravado of youth.

I agree with Jennice, that rider is an idiot that no doubt will prove Darwin correct.

This coming from a guy who once nearly hit a cow flying at 600+ knots.

My safety attitude has changed a lot since a bicycle accident gave me the experience of being a quadriplegic for a couple of days. It is not fun. Ride safely - bones heal, but nerves may not.
Old 16th June 2006, 11:41 AM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by BobEllis
This coming from a guy who once nearly hit a cow flying at 600+ knots.
Wherever did you find a cow flying at 600 knots?
Old 16th June 2006, 11:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
Bob is a rodeo pilot.
Best advice i can give you guys is never to drive on a no-speed limit highway in Germany. (or Japan at night)
When i was 10, my cousin did that trick on a deserted sunday morning highway and managed to shave half of his body and integral safety helmet off when Mr. Rabbit popped out of the woods. Asphalt is a great meat slicer at 170mph.
Old 16th June 2006, 12:25 PM   #4
quasi is offline quasi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010

Finally proof that playing too much with DNA (crossing cows with F18's) is immoral and a lesson to all in the scientific fraternity.

Some things just aren't meant to be!
Old 16th June 2006, 01:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just amazing what sorts of military secrets come out by accident. We cleared that 600 knot cow by a good 5 feet.

To clear up any confusion, that is an F-14 in my Avatar. Yes, that means I am an old guy - the last US Tomcats are retiring this summer. There was a bit of semi-good natured animosity between the F-14 and F-18 communities.

So, to aid in recognition (in case you visit Iran and see one flying there) here are the two aircraft:

F-14: My squadron, but in my day we didn't drop bombs.

Click the image to open in full size.

F-18 Pretty good looking in Blue Angel colors. No, he wasn't supposed to go that low. I saw something similar at an airshow. the non-flying audience oohed and ahed at his precision. I thought to myself "He's not going to make it" saw the nose jerk up and the afterburners light. Nope he didn't do that one on purpose. Notice that the exhaust nozzles here are opening up - this guy has selected afterburner, but it hasn't lit yet. Yikes!

Old 16th June 2006, 01:55 PM   #6
Jennice is offline Jennice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by quasi

Finally proof that playing too much with DNA (crossing cows with F18's) is immoral and a lesson to all in the scientific fraternity.

Some things just aren't meant to be!

Spilling my tea, LMAO at 500 knot cow and reply...
Old 16th June 2006, 02:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BobEllis

To clear up any confusion, that is an F-14 in my Avatar. Yes, that means I am an old guy - the last US Tomcats are retiring this summer. There was a bit of semi-good natured animosity between the F-14 and F-18 communities.
the F14 was the best 2-seater Grumman ever made.

i got my first scope surplus from Grumman back in 1978 (when I lived on Long Island).
Old 16th June 2006, 03:26 PM   #8
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Jacco,
Quote:
The afterburner gives it that crispy skin, right ?
I think it blows the meat off the bones!

Bob,
I'll bet that F-18 pilot didn't smell too good after the flight! That looks way too close, and I'm not a pilot. Either that or the tower asked him to clean off the runway. ...

Great shot!

-Chris
Old 16th June 2006, 04:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I wish I'd taken that. It's been circulating on the web a while - I think it's a semi-official picture.

Judging by the condensation trails coming off the shoulders, he's just barely bottomed out. That's quite an angle of attack.

The maneuver I saw was also Blue Angel #6 doing a dirty roll on takeoff, retracting the gear as he goes. The top of the arc was maybe 75 feet. It looks great when done with a little more room at the bottom.

Of course I agree with you, Jack. Too bad Grumman "Iron Works" didn't have enough political clout to keep making whole aircraft.

In honor of the Hornet there was a T-shirt made up saying "One man, One bomb, One mission, One way."
Old 16th June 2006, 04:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Fascinating pictures Bob

I see a Lightening barely get away with a similar manoeuvre in 1971 at an air show, I’m sure it was not planned the noise was something else.

Hide this!Advertise here!