Strip heater to bend acrylic????????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all Im at a loss here. I need to know if anyone here knows how to make a strip heater to bend acrylic( plastic) like the kind that are used in highschool shop classes to make the cheesy picture frames. Id rather not spend 200.00 on one thats prebuilt. But I cant seem to find anyplace online that talks about how to go about building one. I can find " strip" heaters on ebay but they are 1" wide or wider and I really need one thats" just like the shop class one" where its around 12" long and maybe 1/4 inch wide. If I recall correctly the strip heaters that I used in the past in shop( 10+ years ago) were a solid bar for a heating element. Thanks for any help. :confused: :)

I agree that a domestic appiance element of some sort is the way to go. I seem to recall that 'bendable' sheathed elements are available to replace obselete styles, which might be ideal, but otherwise a look through the stock of your local appliance spares store should turn up something to suit.
An alternative would be the quartz-glass enclosed radiant elements for space heaters, but they are quite fragile.
personally, I'd use some sort of sheathed element - a bare nichrome coil will no doubt work, but is none too safe:att'n:

EC8010 said:
When I was a kid, I bent acrylic by heating it under the kitchen grill when my mum was out. I screened bits I didn't want to heat with cooking foil.

What he said ! except I used the oven. I was making a simple box cover for a turntable and laid the sheet over a block of wood the the width I wanted and let the overhang each side droop down as it softened in the heat. Finished off with a block of wood each side to hold in place while it cooled. Glued a front and back on and it is still in good condition today some 35 years later !!

I've seen a couple of DIY uints. these were from 3/4" ply appropriately hinged with a Nichrome (coiled spring type) wire heating element at the junction Hinge point.. ( just like from a Hot plate.. You can buy these New at an Appliance repair shop for little coin.) Plastic was placed on the Plattens unit was plugged in for approx 30 secs to 1 min then the hinged platenn was raised to the desired angle (using Stops)
Yes there are more details.. but IF you know what yer up to.. that's more than enough info :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.