power regulator kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
LM317?

I need 11 volts not 17 volts. I can't find an 11 volt three terminal power IC regulator. Besides, someone told me that they sound bad compared to a supply using an op amp. Surely someone makes a kit of something like the Seltzer regulator.........

I thought this a hard core audio fanatic forum. I did a search for Seltzer regulator but can't find anything about it.

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Justin,
I misunderstood your question.
I thought you wanted a regulated supply FOR an opamp.

BTW. LM317 is an adjustable voltage regulator. It can be set for 11V and upto 1.5A depending on dissipation/temperature.

Have a look at Perander's site. Search recent threads (todays) for relevant topics.

Justin,

I still have boards and parts for the Scalable PSU/regulator - see the thread in the group buys section. Although the thread is focused on 15V, you can make it 11V by swapping the voltage reference and one of the feedback resistors. In case you want something a little more interesting than an LM317.

The board is $5 and the parts kit $20.25

Bob

Hi, justin, your answers are available here (and elsewhere)... you probably won't get your regulater done this evening. The 317-337 system might work best if you're in a hurry. It can be adjusted to Exactly 11 volts(both + and -) if you check out the individual components datasheets. It's not expensive. I (personally) don't know of a kit for this but it might be out there. -

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I give up

I am supposed to wade through 32 pages of post to see what you are talking about..... all I could find is a schematic of a discrete transistor design and no specifications as to performance.

Someone told me that Walt Jung designed a improved version of the Sulzer regulator and I guess I will have to do a web search to find that since it appears I am having little luck here. I am not interested in something as crude as a three terminal regulator (with a 20 something year old IC part number) or as complicated as discrete transistor design ( ithout good documentation that I can find easily.

Nobody here can actually help me find AN OP AMP BASED FAIRLY SIMPLE VOLTAGE REGULATOR WITH HIGH PERFORMANCE?

Judging from your attitude, I'm guessing that you are 14-16 years old. Try doing a bit of the work for yourself and be grateful for people offering help. People do this out of kindness. A simple "thanks, but I was looking for..." would have helped your cause.

So you have any idea what performance you NEED? other than 11V and ~3W? Why an op-amp based regulator? What is your application?

There is a company selling Didden/Jung super regulator circuit boards for $25, if you look for it. P-A's regulators will be at least as much, IIRC.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
This has been a test

jacco vermeulen seems to be the only able one to give a concise answer without insult and editorializing. I remember in the old days of this forum when you could actually get useful advice here. Even if you were a newbie asking fairly silly questions. I am well acquainted with the National LM317. The first published suggestion for its use as a good audio regulator probably being the Dynaco PAT 5 mod article by Walt Jung in a 1978 Audio Amateur article. I am also well aware of the Linear Technology LT1085 and it's improvements over the LM317.

I am also familiar with the Sulzer, Jung-Didden, Borbely, ALW, Per-Anders, and several other op amp based designs ( or copies of designs). I am also know of of several discrete transistor designs from TAA magazine, ALW, and Erno Borbely. What I was not aware of is how easy it is to pull peoples leg and the amount of hostility, lack of a sense of humor, and how little useful advice I would get. You mean the LM317 is not a 17 volt regulator!? :confused:

Besides I am waiting for Per-Anders to reverse engineer the Invisus PPR2 supply and tries for a group buy on the forum. I hear he already has the LT op amp and IR low threshold Mosfet pass transistor identified with help from some unnamed conspirator. The rest should be pretty easy.

Can't wait,
Justin ;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
:cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop:

Justin_Case: One of your earlier posts in this thread contained a sentence in block capitals, which is generally construed as shouting. The various posters here have bent over backwards to be helpful to you, pointing you onto the right track despite your poorly defined query and the fact that it was your own poor spelling that prevented you from finding the information you wanted. A number of the people who have assisted you are professional electronics engineers and in helping you they have been doing unpaid work. If you hope to obtain more knowledgeable advice, please tone down what members perceive as a prickly attitude and be grateful for what is being offered.

:cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop:

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
there is at least one person with a sense of humor

The various posters here have bent over backwards to be helpful to you,:eek:

You have a curious definition of help and unpaid work...... one person actually gave a URL which I acknowledged and other tried to sell me something unrelated to what I asked for. If I type in CAPS IT IS BECAUSE I AM SHOUTING..... I guess it is alright to insult other forum members if you do it in lower case .....

Like I said it was just a little test to see if things had changed around since all the so called trouble makers had left. It has changed..........now the victims of abuse on the forum are the ones that get moderated. :smash:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Justin_Case,

It has changed..........now the victims of abuse on the forum are the ones that get moderated.
To be fair to you, I went back and read the previous posts from the start. I find that you have encouraged the responses by using leading questions in that direction with no hint that you were joking.

I does appear that you are trying to pick a fight. I guess the only thing that hasn't changed since the last time you "looked in" on the forum is yourself and your attitude.

You made reference to being on the board before. What was your user name in that case?

-Chris

Justin,

I know how you feel... I can cut right through all this B.S. for you. There are a couple more specs required for a good recommendation. Fill in the blanks and I'll hook ya up:

1) Working input voltage

2) Maximum input voltage

3) Minimum input voltage or maximum dropout voltage

4) Maximum and minmum ambient operating temperature.

5) Target value of theta for your heatsink

6) Design center for die temperature

7) Maximum allowed die temperature

8) Input ripple rejection over frequency

9) Output voltage tolerance over temperature and aging

10) Maximum output noise in sqr rt Hz

11) Required output response to step load changes

12) Anticipated load capacitance

13) Short circuit and fault protection req's including shorted input

14) Form factor

15) Radiation hardness requirements

16) RoHS compliance

Lemme know,

8)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.