Is the audio quality on Vonage OK?... OR... funny phone company stories.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK,

So I have this almost new router for my computers etc... it is Vonage ready. Do you guys like the audio quality Vonage provides?

The idea of 25$ a month, compared to the horrible amount I am paying now is appealing. But, I hate phones that sound like you're talking to Hawii... you know, with the beginning of words clipped off and oddball delays. What are the opinion here?

Also, do you mave humorous stories about why you hate your phone company.

yeah, I have a humorous vonage story -- they offered stock on the IPO to their customers -- the stock went down 6 points since the IPO and a lot of folks aren't paying up -- someone shoulda' read them that part of the NYSE regulations which requires the broker/dealer to ascertain the suitability...

VOIP may be a great idea, but these guys are financial 'babes in da woods'

I use Vonage over a Cox cable broadband connection. Sometimes there's an echo and every once in a great while something goofy happens where the phone rings then drops the call (this is a rare occurance). Overall, it's well worth the $25 / month I spend on it. Free long distance, easy call forwarding, check voicemail online, etc.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi poobah,
Check things like 911 issues if you are thinking of using it as your primary communications (I don't recommend that). That's what I do for a living, commercial systems.

My take is that VoIP is great between offices that are using a data connection already, but it is not reliable enough for your only communications link. Quality will depend greatly on both your area and that of the far end.

-Chris

Hmmm,

Maybe the trick... would be one bare bones line from "The Phone company" for security... and voip for bulk.

I have 400 or so daughters, with that and business the phone bills are hitting 50 db (spikes to 54+ dB)... so to speak.

The rats in this ship are living better than the Cap'n...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I've had Vonage ($25/month) for over two years and methinks it's great. I was paying $60/month to Qwest (not including long distance) with all the call forwarding, caller ID, etc. Figured why not try.

Vonage phone quality is better than my Cingular work Cell. Period. Maybe not crystal clear as Qwest, but hey, is clarity worth another $35 a month? Duh. That differential cost almost funds my cost for Comcast Broadband, and I can't think of a better use for all that paid bandwidth.

And yes, when my Comcast Internet goes down in Salt Lake City (happend about three times last year, and at most one day out of service) it takes the phone with it, but my Vonage is setup so calls automatically get forwarded to my work cell when it does. Big deal. Whine if you must, but I am covered.

I also take my Vonage Modem on work travels with me (mostly to Houston) and plug it into the cable system at the hotel so I can get Home calls anywhere in the world (as long as the hotel has Cable internet )

The whole Vonage IPO thingy was a great idea - Vonage wanted to say thanks to the people like me that have been loyal customers - give them first option right for buying the IPO stock before the general public is able. Unfortunately, there are idiots out there who claim they didn't understand that they were entering a legally binding agreement that they had to FUND their purchase (I would like to see how many of these convieniently ignorant purchasers have Margin Trading accounts elsewhere).

All the bad press of a good deed gone horribly wrong is what is driving the price down. I am holding. I know something good when I use it.

Maybe someday Comcast or Verizon will get their VIOP versions up and running and cheaper to convert me, but the technology is here and its good for me.

All you who would rather spend $60 a month for a land line AND pay for High Speed Internet are really missing out. So far, I estimate I have saved over $1250 over what I would have paid Qwest since using Vonage. I might add I have lost $400 on their IPO...so I'm still ahead of the game.

Just don't understand why the "techies" here would bash a new Technology like VIOP...go figure...maybe they are all on dialups or work for RBOC like Qwest.

Later kids.:hot:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi john65b,
VoIP is not production ready. Period. Between lack of 911 service and outages you are really forced to keep your phone line. A static connection may allow you the 911 service.

I have three kids and a wife. Their safety is worth keeping Ma Bell.

So I am not bashing whatever form of VoIP you choose. All I'm saying is that it should not be your primary communications. We are also responsible for the safety of workers in the different companies we install phone systems for. Even with T1 (PRI) service, we are careful to include a backup copper or two at least. T1 is much more reliable than a data connection.

John65, even you have a backup for your VoIP. You just don't personally pay for it, that's all.

-Chris

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yes, Backup is important with VoIP - but how many of us already have a cell in addition to our land line anyway? Don't you?

As far as the 911 thingy - I think that may be a thing of the past and may have been "fixed" by now. When we first got Vonage, I programed the local Fire Department and Police Department phone numbers on all phones in the house - so all potential calls to 911 were defered by a simple stored keystroke - worked for us - even though we have yet to make the call.

Don't get me wrong - not trying to start an argument here - I just like the service and technology.

W have had a VoIP System here at work for over a year and at first it was a little problematic (again, due to our network being archaic), but since a major network upgrade, seems very reliable. Can't remember the last time the network went down and were with out phones...

Anyway, I trust most major VoIP bugs will be mitigated within the next 3 years, so why not start saving money (I may add that I am a cheap b a s t a r d!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.