Help me find a job

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can tell you, if he wants to stay in the Cleveland area, Linux is not going to help him. Most of the companies around here use very little Linux. Its more about knowing windows, Oracle, J2EE, .NET, and along those lines. If they are using linux, they're less concerned about you knowing and having used it, and more about knowing the applications they're running on it, like Oracle or J2EE.

Another thing I thought of after I posted the first response, how long has he been looking? I spent about 5 months looking for a job and applying to everything that I might have a passing match for. It was frustrating, as most places you never heard from, or I would here from the first level of filtering (a phone call from the HR person) and then never hear from them again.

Also, if you applied for a job, and you see that same job come up again later, re-apply, maybe on the second go-around, you'll get further, you never know.

Above all, you'll learn patience, trust me.

Bob

I was a programmer/analyst for a number of years till I walked out on my last job which was incredibly nasty and have been unable to find one since. This was about the time IT took a dive and even headhunters said it would probably never be like it was. It's a hard gig anymore with people only getting hired if they possess certain skills out of many to be had. Being hired in a general way to learn may still take place for new graduates, but when you're into your career you might wish you had been a little smarter about your chosen profession, and I see it only getting worse. Other than that I don't know what to tell ya. I hear that the number of computer and engineering graduates has dwindled in the US and may be in response to kids wising up as to the labor market for these jobs. This country has screwed itself IMHO and industry is a large part of the blame, but perhaps not entirely. Boy howdy, .....is that subject a can of worms or what? But if your heart is set on such profession(s), then I guess you must follow..:)

Try to develop wide range of skills. Your position right now is catch 22 - in order to get a job you need more experience, and in order to earn more experience you need a job. Check in the places that do not offer jobs for software developers but they do need computer guys. An example - prepress operations. There are many things you could do - network manager, system admin, email and web admin... Almost any big company has database of various sorts, think what you could do there, scripting, maintainance... Sometimes there are jobs just to maintain back ups, shuffle tapes and simillar. You need entry level job to establish some experience, and than to move on. Companys are more reluctant to offer job to someone with no experience vs someone with experience. Interestingly it is much easier to move from job to job, than to get a job while you are without one.
In my mind Linyx/Unix is a hot ticket. I 've seen what I never seen before - IT guys with Macs in server room. New Macs are "bilingual" OSX and Windows on one machine - that is a clear sign.

All of the suggestions regarding your resume are correct. Do not go over board in your presentation, but make it professional and up to wide accepted standards. Look into resume writting, or get some samples and than just do it. Networking is critical, but if you are beginer obviously your networking is limited. Check with school if they offer any industry leads or connections. All that you need is right name and number. Cold calling is painfull but possible. Make search, get numbers and call, or send emails. Be passionate, believe in what you say, and just do not give up.

P.S. Good news: Microsoft is coming up with new system. There will be big need for tech support on all levels :)

Good luck

Hello all,
Thanks for all the help. I have redone my resume so I am reposting. I tried to include all the suggestions that all of you gave me. I also took out all the references to Jamaica, I have a feeling that it was holding me back.

Have a look at the resume and see if it looks any better.
I have attached the actual resume so that you can see what it actually looks like.

Keep the suggestion comming guys.

Thanks again.

Objective: To obtain a position in the field of computer engineering and electronics where my educational knowledge, four (4) years of computer experience and thirteen (13) years experience with electronics circuits can be utilized. And also to become a key player in a company where I can contribute to growth and development.

Skills:
• Operating Systems: Linux SUSE, Windows 95/98/2000/XP
• Software: Basic computer skills, install Operating Systems and other software, Rockwell RSLogix
• PC Skills: Assemble a PC, troubleshoot PC hardware
• Electronics Skills:
• PLC programming (AB)
• PSpice
• VHDL / AHDL - coursework includes: counters, lcd driver, PMW, vga display, motor speed control
• C++ - coursework includes: data structures, assembler, cache simulator
• 80*86 assembly language
• embedded microcontroller programming

Education:

Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
Cleveland State University, Graduating August 2006

Diploma in Electronic Engineering Technician
Excelsior Community College

Experience:
Computer Lab Monitor
Cleveland State University
October 2002 to present
Promoted to Head Lab Monitor in January 2004
• Maintain PCs
• Install various software
• Supervise students using the PCs
• Assemble PCs

Assistant in Instrumentation Department
July 2001 and 2002 (Summer job)
West Indies Alumina Company
• Maintained and installed various industrial instruments, such as sediment level detectors and flow meters
• Troubleshot malfunctioning instruments
• Repaired nonworking instruments

Computer Assistant
April 2001 (Internship)
West Indies Alumina Company
• Assist PC users with software and hardware problems
• Repair and maintain PCs

Hobbies/Skills:
• Thirteen (13) years experience in building electronic circuits and systems and repairing electronic equipment such as; solid state and vacuum tube power amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, crossovers and power supplies
• Competent with PA and A/V equipment

Attachments

• resume new after list.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 26
2 cents...

Objective: Obtain a full-time position in a team where my education, experience, and effort creates mutual growth.

(key words: team, effort, growth)

PUT EDUCATION HERE (it IS your highlight!)

PC Skills:
• Basic operating skills with popular applications in Windows or Linux based environments
• Installation, assembly, and repair of PC's and operating systems

Software Skills:
• Programming in C++, including data structures, data caches, and assembly routines
• Assembly programing for the 80_86 family
• Programming embedded microcontrollers
• PLC programming

Hardware Skills:
• Basic circuit design and modelling using PSpice
• Designing VHDL / AHDL logic including lcd drivers, vga displays, PWM controllers, motor speed controls

I had a hell of a time rearranging your skills and dropping the fluff... nothing personal. Hopefully more people can help.

Lose the references to 13 years of experience when you are a new grad... it is not a plus.

Change/use more words with "ing" endings. You are not "was", or "will", you ARE!

Where have you applied? I can possibly help you out here, remember the networking thing? You have someone here that's working as a software developer in an engineering company (I don't think we're hiring right now, but I'm checking) with some connections and some suggestions!

Looking over your resume, I can think of several places to try with your skills, all in NE Ohio, I just need an inkling of who you've talked to! I can also suggest some headhunters that might be able to get you into some of the larger companies that only deal through headhunters.

So talk to me, and I'll see what I can do to help you out! Remember, job hunting takes two very key things, patience, and connections!

Well, there appears to be a problem with the e-mail button, I tried sending an e-mail to myself using it, but I didn't get either e-mails. So, Lawrence, e-mail me at bschaefer followed by the number 1, and I'm at neo.rr.com. (All written out like this to avoid spammers) I'll see what I can do to help you out!

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.