Blowtorch IP discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other side of this is that small guys, like for example consultants who don't have a huge legal staff sitting around waiting to pounce on this kind of thing, probably get screwed routinely by big companies who just roll over them. The best a little guy can do is to stay below the radar of the big guys.

Brilliantly stated CG.

Patents are really just an inadvertant way of method of making your ideas public. A slight workaround, and the big boys can build something faster-better-cheaper. Our patent system is really to blame for this.

moamps said:
CG: If you interpret everything as freely as you just did with what I wrote, I'm afraid you're clueless. So, stealing IP is not OK unless it is your pal who does the stealing. :smash:

I must admit I don't quite get this, thereby proving just how clueless I am.

In my book, stealing IP is not right, and that is exactly the point I was trying to get across. Didn't work, so I give up. I'll find the door myself...

moamps said:

I'm afraid the info contained in the .pdf file you're referring to has not been supplied by John Curl alone. I've been told by certain parties involved that the file contains their original comments made in this thread and credited to John Curl.
Regards,
Milan

I realised this as I read it, but there are many extended comments and observations that are obviously his and quite a number of points to ponder, which after all was one point I tried to make, the other being what is being given back.

Mike

poobah said:

Patents are really just an inadvertant way of method of making your ideas public.

As important, the Blowtorch design probably isn't Curl's personal IP to make public. At my place of employment all staff are yearly required to sign a non-disclosure, intellectual property agreement with wide latitude for legal interpretation. This is common in larger companies. It's entirely possible that should one of the little tube amps I do on my personal time cure cancer or acne my employer would come after it on the basis of that paper. A consultant doing work for hire has it orders of magnitude worse, not to mention the possibility of never working again. Which makes the demands for proprietary information in return for nothing all the more incomprehensible.

Chris:

Just a token of my appreciation... That's the closest I've ever come to a Sin-Bin (Route 66, Arizona, 2 years ago).;)

Regards,
Milan

jail.JPG

Hi everybody! Are we having fun or what? I would dearly like to give you everything that I know. I am getting old and I don't want to die with whatever I have learned only within myself. Last night, I was talking to Dick Sequerra (who is about 76 years old or so) about this and he laughed. He doesn't mind dying with his knowledge not released to the public, but I confronted him about it, anyway. I actually told HIM to loosen up!
However, I must continue to live and pay my way. Parasound is helpful, but they are not paying my bills to any extent. I have made my way this last 4 months by making CTC Blowtorches for an order originally placed by Japan about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, my former business partner, Bob Crump, died unexpectedly, and left me with the obligation of finishing these preamps, AFTER he took in ALL the money for them. I got NO extra money from Bob's estate, BUT I had to finish these units. The Japanese and I made a deal that I would receive $1000 for each unit I would finish, and that they approved of the final result. I couldn't do it myself, but my friend and associate Hal Finley (a close friend since the 1950's as we went to high school and college together) who is already retired, said he would help me FREE, except for any extra money that we could get for finishing any additional units. It took more than 3 months to finish the 4 units from the parts previously purchased by Bob Crump, and send them to Japan. I was paid last week by Japan and now I have to pay Hal his share of the total of $4000 that I received for the units. This is MY reality. Yesterday, I paid out about $1000 for rent and heart medicine. Monday, my $1929 check for health insurance for the next 3 months reduced my account accordingly. This is my situation, and you attack me?

Just for completeness, I would like to see examples of any opinions that I copied from others. I got the idea that someone thought this about the AD797 IC op amp.
Well, regarding this, it happens to be that I am a friend of Scott Wurcer, the designer of the AD797, and he sent me samples and technical papers even before the unit was released to the general public. DUH! I happen to use them (his samples) in the front end of my Sound Technology 1700B distortion analyzer. I use them every day. Perhaps I know something about them?

John,

I have only said I have found parts of our conversation about AD797, here they are :

Maybe, just maybe, there is a clue for best audio quality.
Yes, I meant the AD797. Almost 40 years ago, I worked extensively with 2n697 and it gets stuck in my memory.

Page 7 of my datasheet for the AD844 says:"The open loop pole is formed by Rt (2.5Mohm) in parallel with Ct. Since Ct is typically 3pf, the open loop corner frequency occurs at about 18KHz".
For reference the open loop badwith of the AD797 is about 100 Hz (or less).

I accidentally found my data sheet that was originally sent to me 15 years ago or so. Remembering that YOU liked the AD844, I thought to look more carefully at this datasheet.
To my happy surprise, I found the 18KHz number. From the same file, I also had the AD797 data sheet, so I compared. These are two excellent examples of IC amplifier design. Is there any significant sonic difference between them?

/page 118 - 119/

To continue - yes, there is a significant sonic difference between them.

Best regards,
Pavel

Status
Not open for further replies.