cleaning aluminum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cleaning Aluminium

Hi

Depending what it is you want to clean, you can give it a 'chemical polish' by dipping whatever it is in phosphoric acid at 100degrees centigrade.

Disclaimer: Entirely at your own risk! This stuff is dangerous in many ways and corrodes amost anything. Wear protective clothing and breathing apparatus + rubber gloves. Ensure good ventilation.

This method is used prior to anodising.

If you're crazy enough to try this, be very careful and heed the disclaimer.

bulgin

bulgin wrote
Depending what it is you want to clean, you can give it a 'chemical polish' by dipping whatever it is in phosphoric acid at 100degrees centigrade.

How do u clean the aluminium that suffers from corrosion due to this acid.
I can't wash some of the parts as they are parts of a sample handler in a mass spectrometer.
Any chemical that will stop/revert the reaction.

Thanks in advance

Gajanan Phadte

Any acid will attack the oxide layer changing the shape of the metal. as soon as the clean metal comes into contact with air it will start to oxidise this will takes ~2s.

So jumping back, What do you want to clean and why?
What do wish to clean off it?

How did it get dirty in the first place.

This is aluminium arm of the carbonate sample handler called Gilson and the heat bath. Above this bath, is a needle that disposes the phosphoric acid into the vial. The acid drop falls sometimes on these surroundings. The CaCO3 samples from the sea, mainly foramanifera, are reacted with this acid which releases CO2, which is then analysed.
This reacted Al surfaces look stained and would like to bring their look back.
This is an oceanographic research laboratory.

Any trick with some chemicals...
Thanks

Gajanan Phadte

Try a mixture of Dawn dish soap on a soft towel and go easy.

I cleaned the front plate of ReVox CDP in hot soapy water and all the lettering fell off! You would think ReVox would do a little better.

:headbash:

Good ole' Windex works good on that, but again be carefull around the lettering.

Nope, I’m still here. I have to divide between five projects.

I would like to stay away from anything that can burn or blind. I don’t minded using elbow grease. The problem I have is, I used the aluminum case (modem enclosure) to cut a piece of Plexiglas. I heat the case to melt the plexi but I didn’t clean all the residue off the case before heating. Now, I have brown spots.

Maybe aluminum pot cleaner?

Just my 10 cents...

But I had a raw unpoliched piece for my tube amplifier top, I tried to polish it with sand paper... I dont have a buffer by the way... it take 3 days to convince me to abandon this idea. It`s a pain in the ... So I decied to use good old spray paint for car with clear coth... real good result.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.