Want to buy the Behringer ECM8000, have a computer, what else do I need?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, maybe not 8 :)

I was thinking I need 48v of phantom power, but apparently panasonic takes less than 10v... so just 1 there, instead of 5 :) And the plans call for 3 on the op-amp (which still seems rather extreme, meaning I am probably confused).

I really should try this just to, like... learn something :)

If that's the case maybe you should buy. Pick your projects.

I'm going to dedicate what little time I have to finishing the cabinets for my current 2 way HiVi project, and worry about my measuring equipment when I am testing my crossover. If the deal with Tim works out, great. If not, I'll make do with the Radioshack meter.

To clarify, I am building a speaker where all drivers and crossover components combined cost less than $100, and I wanted to prepare my measuring setup for crossover design. Spending $130 on measuring equipment is worth it in the long run, but I've got other priorities right now.

As I understand them, the answers to my original questions are:

What kind of connector does the mic have, and what cable would I use to plug it into my computer? XLR, will not plug into computer

Does phantom powered +15v +48v mean it has batteries, or do I need to provide power? no batteris, preamp must provide phantom power

Do I need a preamp? My soundcard is a Hercules GameTheatre XP, which has a mic preamp and volume control knob, but I hear sound card preamps suck in general. Yes, a preamp is needed. Yes, soundcard preamps do suck. No, you cannot combine your soundcard preamp with a diy phantom power supply.

Dan

A couple of you have emailed me about the mic and mixer I have. Unfortunately when I try to reply I get failure notices and your accounts here are not accepting messages.
Please try my other email address

info@alegriaaudio.com

The mic is the ECM8000 and the mixer is the Eurorack 602A. Both are in like new condition. I'm asking $50.
First come, first served.
Thanks!

Sillyboy said:
Okay, maybe not 8 :)

I was thinking I need 48v of phantom power, but apparently panasonic takes less than 10v... so just 1 there, instead of 5 :) And the plans call for 3 on the op-amp (which still seems rather extreme, meaning I am probably confused).

I really should try this just to, like... learn something :)

You could also buy a small 12v SLA battery, they are pretty cheap and available at your local auto parts store. A cheap car battery charger is all you need to recharge, and a single charge should last at least a week.

Dan

Timn8ter said:
A couple of you have emailed me about the mic and mixer I have. Unfortunately when I try to reply I get failure notices and your accounts here are not accepting messages.
Please try my other email address

info@alegriaaudio.com

The mic is the ECM8000 and the mixer is the Eurorack 602A. Both are in like new condition. I'm asking $50.
First come, first served.
Thanks!

$50 for both? I'll take it. danspublic AT gmail.com

Ub802

You need a Behringer UB802. At that price point there is no question it is a no-brainer. You will end up spending as much even if you "build" a decent one. Stay away from those "mic-preamp kits" if you intend to use this for serious speaker building/designing/measurement.

<edit:> ofcourse buying it used like the offer above is hard to beat!

Ouch. Who could have known that Tim was gonna give such a sweet deal on the premap and mic? :) If other buyers don't work out, I am your man there.

Okay, let's just assume I get the UB802 at $50 (starting to sound rather worth it, though, I really do think I will build that $5 circuit at a learning excercise) ...

Question though, if I build a mic from the panasonic capsule... it only need 2-10v of phantom power, and the UB802 gives 48v.

So... do I just hook up a resistor? Digi-key specs say the capsules use 0.5mA max... so... 82k ohms * .0005 amps = 41 volt drop... which would bring 48v to 7v. That a good thing? or am I a 'tard? :)

Vikash, I was referring to the "commercial kits" and not diy designs/kits. However, I did want to indicate that diy designs are not neccessarily cheap. The cost-to-performance approaches a point where it boils down to just personal preference whether you want to spend the time and learn and seek the gratification of building it, or just buy it.

I set off in the same direction when I was there. Bought the ECM8000 and sought a few designs, kits, worked out the costs, time, probability of failure and eventually ended up buying the UB802. Wouldn't do it any other way if I had to do it all over again.

Sillyboy said:
Question though, if I build a mic from the panasonic capsule... it only need 2-10v of phantom power, and the UB802 gives 48v.

So... do I just hook up a resistor? Digi-key specs say the capsules use 0.5mA max... so... 82k ohms * .0005 amps = 41 volt drop... which would bring 48v to 7v. That a good thing? or am I a 'tard? :)

Someone should confirm/deny this for me, so i can order the UB802 :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.