Ac filters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does any one have any suggestions for ac filters for pre-amp's power amp's I want to build my self a custom ac power box for my pre-amp my power amp.. Something like a nice power strip.

Or a website ? Im also looking to build a nice ac filter for my pre-amp Since my apartment has noisy ac power. ( fridge is on same power line as audio gear )

Hi,
go and snubberise the fridge. Right next to the switch controlling the motor. Possibly again at the mains connection inside the fridge.

It's always better to reduce the interference at source.

Next best is attenuation at your mains input and finally at your DC supply.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
go and snubberise the fridge. Right next to the switch controlling the motor. Possibly again at the mains connection inside the fridge.

It's always better to reduce the interference at source.

Next best is attenuation at your mains input and finally at your DC supply.

I COULD do that. but then voiding the warrantee on the fridge that i don't own might not be a good idea.

Hi,
I see J Risch calls up 47nF (0.047u) for line to ground caps.

In the UK the maximum earth leakage on an RCD (RCBO) protected circuit is 25% of the trip rating.
Most systems are tripped at 30mA. This limits the total caps from line to ground to just under 100nF.
On that basis ALL the equipment on the same protected circuit should not exceed 100nF.

If you have suppression caps in other equipment then I suggest that the Filter caps to ground be reduced to either 22nF or even 10nF if your total is looking too big.
The Line to Neutral caps can remain at 47nF or even increased to 100nF.

Hi Richie,
I cannot access the document that my 25% of tripping current came from, but can I ask where your 4n7F came from.

If your much more onerous figure were to be applied, it would imply that very little equipment could share the same outlet from a distribution board circuit. That would make most domestic installations illegal on the 4n7F limit basis.

The 4.7nF limit is I suspect to ensure that multiple devices CAN be placed on a shared bus, yet still satisfy current and likely future RCD breaker standards.

I got my info from my year as a CE certification (included safety and EMC) engineer a while ago. The current standard at that time for appliance type equipment was BS-EN 60065 but I believe this has been superseeded.

I wonder how hard it would be to build a ac power regulator. You know, like the one that monster makes and other comany's. They are complex i know that. Some start about 2500$ us each. They work well i was told. Would it be worth it to have tho is the next question..

Something like this ?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Danger Will Robinson

Actually the 4n7 Y-cap is limited by safety considerations, because it links Live to Earth. Consider what happens if the equipments earth lead connection is defective. That's right, the casework could become live...

So - 4n7 limits the maximum leakage current to 0.3mA (at 240v AC); enough to give you a sting (it's about the perception threshold for AC), but not enough to cause serious hazard. And that's why, quite apart from breaker considerations, you musn't increase the value.

Have fun - safely!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.