What do you need in a good connector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i would think that the following are necessary --

1) the impedance of the connection remains the same from male to female, from cable to connector.

2) the connection is physically strong -- not wriggling loose (maybe this should be #1).

3) the material should experience minimal oxidation over time.

4) the dielectric should not absorb moisture, should not store energy.

unless there are any other thoughts,

I'd drop #1 to #4- at audio frequencies, reflections aren't much of an issue. Impedance matching IS an issue for high speed digital and video signals.

The "sous entendu" is a low resistance connection, with "low" being referenced to the source and load impedances. And the mechanically strong part ought to include things like creep over time and vibration resistance.

just a thought

One thing that occurred to me when looking for RCA connections for a particular fit was the actual connection itself, both the sleave ground part and the male/female connect. These are under expansion and/or contraction depending on build and is thus susceptable to fatigue. Having these parts made from beryllium copper seems to me to be the best thing going. Maintaining that contact integrity is what it's all about in my mind. You lose that and it's new connector time. Just my observation anyway..:). It would also seem to me that this contact resistance would be dwarfed (is this politically correct???) by any wire resistance.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SY said:
[snip]The "sous entendu" is a low resistance connection, with "low" being referenced to the source and load impedances. And the mechanically strong part ought to include things like creep over time and vibration resistance.

Sous-entendu n. m.

Ce que l'on fait comprendre de façon implicite, ce que l'on peut deviner dans un énoncé, mais qui n'est pas explicitement dit.

Ex: je n'ai quasiment plus d'essence, mais il y un garage tout près (sous-entendu : il est ouvert et je vais pouvoir faire le plein).

A ne pas confondre avec présupposé.

Aha! Now I see! :eek:

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.