PC Sofware, Need Help!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2006, 10:00 AM   #1
kinser is offline kinser  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to kinser Send a message via MSN to kinser
Question PC Sofware, Need Help!!!

Hi all, havnt posted here in a while.

On to topic:
My friend's dad is opening a Mini Golf Club and we need a serious PA system, which im in-charge of finding prices and stors.

So basicly we will have between 6-12 PA speakers (about 2-4 speakers per section, since the place is got main 3 sections)
and we will have 3-6 PA amps (1-2 pre section depending on the amount of speakers we use).

Now, here is were i need help:
My friend's dad wants a diffrent music theme for each section, and wants the audio source to be from a PC... so we will buy a PC with a good sound card, but i dont know what software to use.

Basicly we will need a program that will play 3 tracks at the same time, when each track is directed to a diffrent output on the sound card and then to the amp's which drive the speakers in each section.

Did i explaine it well enough? (i hope i did lol)

Thanks,

David Resnik
Old 22nd May 2006, 03:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sivan_and
You need 3 PCI based sound cards and three different media players create playlists with each media player and set each media player output to respective sound cards...and u have 3X stereo channels.
Old 22nd May 2006, 06:09 PM   #3
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't bet on most soundcard drivers supporting 3 boards in one machine

I assume a "7.1" soundcard is a better bet at the low price end - or you could try sneaking in the beginings of a good digital multiway source for yourself with something better (RME?)

for better advice try asking elsewhere

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/bbs.html

http://www.productionforums.com/

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=idx
Old 22nd May 2006, 07:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Does it have to be stereo?

If not, couldn't the 3 different mono music files be 'merged' into 3 channels for a 5.1 soundcard?
Old 22nd May 2006, 07:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replys,

Amm, yeah it has to be stereo. because we might also have Stanton Final Scratch conected to it also.

Thanks,

David Resnik
Old 22nd May 2006, 08:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Will someone explain how to get 3 different sound cards working in one PC and how to get each one to work with its own copy of Windows Media Player? Is this possible? Which operating system to use and which version of Media Player?

Now, if separate cards is possible, I would recommend the Chaintech sound card. I just got one from NEWEGG.COM for $24 + shipping. It has great stereo output, either from its digital connection (toslink) or analog. Many recommend this card for great stereo sound at a low price and I agree.

But, how to get 3 cards to work independent of the other two? Also, I assume that their sound sources would be music pre-recorded to a hard drive, or can 3 different CD players work independently?

Interesting.............
Old 22nd May 2006, 08:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If it was 3 cd players then there would be no problem, but its probbly gonna be mp3's on the HDD, also i dont think it is possible to run WMP 3 times at once.. operating system will be Windows XP and i would personaly prefer iTunes :P

also if it were to be playing off CD's i would just go pic up 3 Pioneer CDJ-100's (since we might also have a dj booth with 2xCDJ-1000 and a DJM-600 or DJM-909 mixer, and we could get big discounts).

Thanks,
Kinser
Old 22nd May 2006, 08:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I just came up with an idea!!! no ideal but its better then nothing!

I use Native Instruments software - Traktor DJ Studio and Final Scratch.
and the new Traktor DJ Studio 3 has 4 decks and a 4 channle mixer. a while ago i wanted to try somthing with 2 decks and an external mixer, and you can assignee each deck to a seperate output. so i could use 3 decks with a 7.1 sound card!

What makes it not so ideal is its hard to use and complicated for you avrage person to use.

Thanks for all of you help guys! appreciated! if u have any suggestions they are more than welcome!

David Resnik
Old 22nd May 2006, 08:59 PM   #9
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lykkedk
I think you should have a look at Linux, as your OS, with JACK http://jackit.sourceforge.net/
Together with ALSA http://www.alsa-project.org/

Might be interesting for you, and meight be your'e best solution. (Could be hard to get working thrugh) ;-)
Old 22nd May 2006, 09:08 PM   #10
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
I think winamp will do this. You can run winamp and have multiple sound card's.

Hide this!Advertise here!