Tiny PC System restore disk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Tiny System restore disk

Hi guys

A bit of a long shot I know, but I thought I'd ask here anyway. As some of you may know, my dad passed away a couple of months ago. His relatively new Tiny PC, (I know, I know!), was completely virus ridden and needs sorting so we can get my mum online. However, to do so, you need a specific disc to unlock the Windows XP partition. The company that took over their support wants £99 for one of these, so I was hoping that one of you fellow Brits might have one that they could burn me a copy of. It's either that or install 98SE and spend weeks tracking down drivers...

Thanks in advance.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Tiny computers need a special CD to unlock the hidden partition where Windows is stored, (from what I can tell, standard practice on PCs these days :confused: ), so you can reformat and reinstall the OS from scratch. This disk didn't come with the machine, you had to buy it separately, but Tiny have now gone bust.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
For normal PC’s:
Unzip the file to a floppy or cd.
Boot the PC with that disk.
A menu will appear, no need to let the software install itself. (Run from floppy or CD)
Let me know if you get that far and I’ll try to guide you trough the process.
If not, well…you’ll need the real thing. :)

/Hugo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you are able to get into the bios, tell it to make the PC boot from floppy drive.
In case you don't know how to get into bios, (I'm talking normal PC here), Press either DEL or F1 or F2 or F10 when booting.
These are the most common keys to get there.

/Hugo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I might of course be wasting your time. :xeye:
Just one last attempt. I presume that you'll need the real tool since Windows is starting. However, since I don't know Tiny's, something must be wrong with Windows, otherwise you shouldn't have asked for help.
This Bootit tool can unlock/unhide hidden partition, hence why I recommended it.
I'll be back after supper.

/Hugo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, I'd like to see what Al sees and what exactly prevents the PC from booting normally.

BootIt fixes hidden partitions.
If in BootIt -> Partition Work -> highlight the 188Gb and click properties; the partition is marked 23/7h: Hidden HPFS/NTFS, change it to 7/7h: HPFS/NTFS.
Unless it's FAT which his highly unlikely.

/Hugo

EDIT: oops... I missed this page! nevermind!

Pinkmouse,

When you first start the computer there will be a brief opportunity to press some key and go to the BIOS. Do this and change your Boot Sequence so it looks at the drive first.

NOW, REMEMBER TO REVERSE THIS WHEN YOU ARE DONE FIXIN THINGS. I forgot once and left some C compiler disc in the drive; next time I booted; I crashed hard!!!!!!!!

Just be mindfull of what you leave in the drive until you do... if the drive is empty the BIOS will skip it and go to the next source in the Boot Sequence.

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.