DTS decoder on PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

I wish to play back a dvd audio into a PC and use the 5.1 output of the sound card. Input will be via spdif in

Does anybody know of appropriate software that would allow me to do this .
MY PC does not have a dvd in it nor is it likely to. though this is probably the best way of doing things

Thanks in advance

You do realize that:

a) DVD-A is not DTS?

b) DVD-A won't transmit at full resolution across SPDIF?

c) DVD-A only does full resolution through the analog outs?

Now, prefacing with all of that, you could possibly try searching for DTS decoders on sourceforge. I know at one point there was a group working on one and had a pretty complete version, until DTS stepped in and said stop it.

Hi Schaef

Thanks for your reply.
I need to clarify - the audio I'm trying to decode is from DVD's (movies) as my dvd player has no decoder built in, therfore i wish to use the pC sound card to do this .
It is a Aopen 850 deluxe with SPDIF in and out.

BTW your comments on DVD-a are most enlightening - that was one of my next queries!

Many thanks

Okay, I mis-understood your original post then. (I saw DVD audio and assumed you meant DVD-A) I'm not sure you can find a free DTS decoder for the PC, particularly for windows. Dolby Digital, on the other hand, can be found, as it was published as part of the ATSC specification.

goerge a, if you want to dive into linux, I suggest you check libavcodec and the whole ffmpeg project. It should handle DD/DTS. Nothing simple though.

Easier way would be to redirect SPDIF-in into a sound card with suround sound hardware decoders. I would still stick to the linux way - memcoder, alsa, etc. Good luck should you go for it.

Thanks Phofman

I think linux would make my eyes galze over - that stuff is beyond me i ssupect.
However my soundcard already has spdif in via coax and optical and also has 5.1 output - all i need is the software in between so that i can pump my digital Tv set top box and x-box into it for dolby digital decoding...
sounds easy......;) but it dosent't appear to be so far.
It decodes spdif from pioneer cd player or x-box no probs..

ps card is a Aopen 850 deluxe - it has a daughter board for the digital in and outs

I am also currntly using th card as the output for a PC version of a juke box using i-tunes and would also like to get into convolution for speaker eq.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.