Washington DC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, I always read here. I post here. And, now, I wonder if there is anyone living in Washington DC that shares the obsession? I know most of our brothers and sisters are Europe, Canada, and the like. Though we have wierd wood thickness' those of us in the lower 48 are here! It would be nice to have folks shout out and let us know if they are here!

Hey, what a coincidence, I live in Washington too! Only problem is that it's the "other" one. With the population density of the East Coast, I'd be very surprised it there weren't several DIY types in your area. Seems to me that there used to be 2 or 3 living in the DC area that were on the old Bass List, but I don't know if any are still around.
I'm sure that you'll get some feedback from this forum.
Best Regards,
TerryO

I'm about 15-20 miles north, over the Legion Bridge. I've not been able to build anything, however: just got married, bought a new house and am about to start a new gig a week from Monday.

Once the upstairs is furnished, though, I can concentrate on the shop and maybe get an OB done in time for, say, Christmas.

I'm in Georgetown. There are a bunch of diy people in the area. There is a DIY gathering right outside DC in VA a couple times a year. It gets talked about on the Parts Express forum. Living in a condo, I have no wood shop, so I cant build much in the way of speakers now. But I find other way to keep my need for creating satisified. Nice to hear from another diyer in the Capital City.

It is truly excellent to find out that there are some here. I am on my 6th pair of speakers in the last 4 months. I am doing my best to learn at light speed. I just built the Fonken's from Planet 10. I am VERY pleased with them. So, this local group that meets, are they organized or is it just a meet of locals? I would be very interested in meeting others. I feel like I am on an island. No one I know gets it I think. I get the usual "wow, tha's really cool that you build speakers and audio equipment!" but, with no real concept of what I am doing. The girlfriend I am sure is getting tired of hearing about this. :) Ah well. Hope to talk to some of you soon!

Castlesteve! That is a nice looking box!

Attachments

• fonken2.jpg
    fonken2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 222
Washington DC group.

Tom.
Nice looking speaker there. Is that the Fostex 127 in there? Planet 10 has a mine of info on his site. I`m expecting a pair of his phase plugs in the mail ready for a dustcapectomy for my 167s.
I will be holding another meet at my place this summer sometime. If there is enough interest i could do a small informal meet in the near future. If anyone`s interested chime in.
Steve.http://www.villagephotos.com/members/viewimage.asp?id_=16278257

That is the 126. I am using these boxes for the initial break in. This speaker was built on a whim aas I have been interested in Onken theory for a while. I should (I hope) have the 127's soon. Then I can really see how these boxes sound. With the 126's they sound great, just bass shy. The speaker I will hopefully finish this week is my own redesign of the Buschhorn MKII. This is the enclosure I plan on putting the 126s in. Time and money are always factors though. Hope to have a correctly matching set of speakers soon. The GF is getting tired of all the speakers sitting in the livingroom though. Hmm, might have to start selling them on Ebay!

Sounds like a good idea! Lets wait til I get the 127's though. I am so tempted to throw my junky pioneer drivers in them (just to see how they sound since they don't require horn loading to get proper bass). I just don't want to hear them screeching away. I had the pioneers in an enclosure for a while but couldn't take the sound. I was modifying the heck out of them and I managed to get them close to listenable. We will see what happens to those as well.

In the mean time I am trying to figure out how to make a cheap and easy phase plug, but, there is not alot of info on phase plug theory that I have been able to find.

In fact here is a picture of my sub 25 dollar a piece speaker Using the pioneers. Did it just to see how it would work and if I could do it. Well, I did it... but not spectacularly. It was fun though to see how badly I could build a folded Voight MLTL.

Attachments

• 25bux.jpg
    25bux.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 135
Hi all,
The wife and I live in Herndon VA, the problem is Im TDY on an Army contract here in Kuwait.

Want to talk about constrained.

Best I can tell, Ive got the only Tube MP3 player amplifier in the whole bloody country. It's the 8watt stereo amp kit put out by Antique Electronic supply, and it feeds a pair of radio shack speakers.

It's the best I can do out here.

Should be home in July for a few days, then a couple of more months back in the sand, then home for keeps in November.

One more for the list.

Later guys
Jack Crow in Kuwait

I'm in Reston

I missed the last DIY meeting at Steve's because I was taking a Woodworking class.

Just finished my first pair of HiVi B3S based speakers. They sound ok with a sonic impact T-amp, but not very good with my Bottlehead Paramours. Of course, I wasn't expecting them to... I just wanted to learn some woodworking skills.

My next project is going to be the FE127E Reference Speaker. Then I will probably make some BIB's for the same driver to compare.

Looking forward to the next gathering in this area.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi!

sorry for late reply, I live in Bethesda.

I am sort of fullrange guy. I made a dozens of speakers and most of the time gave them to friends. Currently I have Lowther based system, Magnavox open baffle based system and dynamic/compression drivers based system. Many small speakers too, those are mostly fullrange speakers.

I do not have woodworking place, so I have limited possibility. Therefore I usually end up doing the simple thing, open baffle.

I would not mind to get in touch with local DC diy guys for a listen or chat. Maybe organize something.

ed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.