diyaudio IRC channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a member of several forums that have associated IRC channels or chatrooms, and it has generally worked out very well. This is an interest check about it. I noticed at least one other thread where someone suggested this, but it has no replies, so I figure I'd give it a try with hopefully better luck.

Large networks are better because they'll still be around in a few years, but most do not have much in the way of services. Rizon seems the best compromise, so for the time being I'll hold #diyaudio there. If any diyaudio mods from here are interested, PM me your registered nick and I'll add you as admin/op/hop to the channel.

Well, four people in now, not counting the bot hehe
The audioasylum forum also has an IRC channel, but seems to have no DIY discussion there. I'll monitor from time to time and try to find out if anyone there is into DIY so I can get them to come over.

Internet Relay Chat. It's part of the Internet, separate from the Web, that started around 1988. It's a set of networks, each consisting of multiple servers, where chatrooms are called channels. Nowaday file sharing is probably as big a part of IRC usage as live discussion, but it varies with networks. There are a lot of differences among the various IRC networks. It's probably best to check out the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

If one does any serious amount of IRC use, it's appropriate to use a dedicated client program, such as HydraIRC. But for just casual usage, a Web gateway is sufficient, and many networks provide one. For example, to get to our channel you can either use an IRC client program to connect to a Rizon server and join our channel, or just go to http://www.rizon.net/webchat.php and when connected, type in /join #diyaudio
You can get more help from people in there. But do check out the Wikipedia article I mentioned above.

That would happen if your firewall or ISP is blocking the usual IRC network ports. I don't know how to really help you with that; if you have a router or firewall, try opening ports 6660 through 7000.

Also, you may try using HydraIRC to connect instead, but I doubt that the client program is the issue (unless there are some strange Java restrictions on your system).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.