help w/ garage door opener - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2006, 10:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help w/ garage door opener

hey guys

i have a remote control (older model) for a garage door opener that has a 9 pin DIP chip inside...the freq of the transmitter isnt specified anywhere, and i need to buy a reciever....my questin is: are receivers freq settings adjustable? is the remote's freq adjustable? how do i get them to be the same?
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:39 AM   #2
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi jaygeorge1979,
The frequency can be measured, but there is also a coded portion normally.

Isn't it cheaper to buy them together? Don't they sell them like that (matched pair)? You may be further ahead to replace the entire shooting match. Wait for a sale.

-Chris
Old 22nd April 2006, 02:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

it would be better to buy it together, but i am using this for a project, not for its purpose, so i want it to be CHEAP as possible...also, i want to buy older ones (used ones) that have the 9 DIP switches so it may be easier to take apart and modify...

basically what i NEED is some kind of sensor that senses when my vehicle door is open, then it transmits that sensed signal to a reciever in my house...that way i can know when someone is messing with my vehicle without them knowing that i know...i figure if i can open up the garage door opener remote (transmitter) i can wire it to send the signal to the reciever...any other ideas for this?
Old 22nd April 2006, 02:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Hi jaygeorge1979,
LOL
I can see a problem there then! Any time someone uses a similar remote in the area your alarm will go off.

If you can't use the digital coding feature, then you need to go to a custom frequency. Even then you may get false alarms, or big hairy FCC guys at your door. See if you can find an electronics kit, sender / receiver, using a digital code. Search the net.

-Chris
Old 22nd April 2006, 04:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I see where ur coming from bud, but i am pretty confident that there arent a rediculously large amount of ppl still using the DIP type encoded systems, at least in that area...and even if there are, the adjustable settings give me 256 options to choose for a code...finally, this system will only be switched on at night, so that again lessens the chance of false alarms....now i ask you

whats this about the FCC? am i doing something wrong?

i did search the net for kits and plans and schematics for home built radio transmitters but the problem is that i only found ones that encode audio into radio waves...i need a transmitter that can sense when the circuit is complete, or sense when there is a hot wire coming in, and tell the reciever to turn on because of it....

soo keep helping me

PS i think one of these might serve my purpose well but im not sure of the range? can anyone help me figure out if this thing will transmit the signal 20-25 yards to the house?

http://www.aaaremotes.com/horeandrewis.html

http://www.aaaremotes.com/holigadoremo.html
Old 22nd April 2006, 04:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Hi jaygeorge1979,
If you don't have the exact receiver, you need to detect RF only. No coding in that case.

Joke about FCC was if you just picked a random frequency and happened to send too much power.

The first linked product will probably do, cheap too! Range depends on many variables. Can't say. Should be similar to your garage door opener.

-Chris
Old 22nd April 2006, 05:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

hey

is that first statement true? i thought coding could be mixed and matched as long as the freq was the same and the code was the same? even if i have, say, a 300 MHz reciever and it has a certain 9 digit code...are u telling me that somebody across the street witha 400 Mhz transmitter w/ a diff code could openit? how is that possible?

about those links i have...i think i may try and call tech support about it ...figure out what kinda range i am workin with

thx for the prompt replies
Old 22nd April 2006, 05:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Hi jaygeorge1979,
No, everything must be matched in order to use digital coding. The frequency and the code. The trick is to get them matched with orphan remotes and receivers.

If you don't get a matched set, then the only way to get it to work at all is to detect RF at that frequency. You won't be decoding digital codes then unless you go to a lot of work. Cheaper at that point to buy a complete new door opener (unless your time is worth zero).

Your links sell for less than the cost of parts.

-Chris
Old 22nd April 2006, 08:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

good points friend...glad u are participating in my thread...

and yea, i am very interested in the links i have posted...i should probably go for the garage door opener one since im sure the range for that one should be greater....is there any way, do u think, that i might be able to amplify the signal by adding to/creating an antenna on one or both units?
Old 22nd April 2006, 08:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Hi jaygeorge1979,
RF is not my field, but I would think that increasing the receiving antenna length would extend the range if needed. I'm sure there is some math and a proper way to do that.

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!