All-in-One HT DVD/Receiver puppydog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I went into a large electronics store here last week and saw two of these for the first time. They were made by Pioneer, and iirc, Kenwood. Didn't note the model numbers as they're not on my upgrade path.

Irrespective of how they sound, I'd hate to get the repair bill for one when it's out of warranty. They weren't a lot cheaper than a basic receiver and DVDP either, so I'd recommend seperates if the budget and space can stretch a bit for that reason alone.

Cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Brett said:
They weren't a lot cheaper than a basic receiver and DVDP either, so I'd recommend seperates if the budget and space can stretch a bit for that reason alone.

His criteria is minimum cables & space. I recommended the Linn Classik Movie System but that was too much $$$ for him (IMHO one of the few Linn products that does offer good value for the loon)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

Pioneer and Sony makes fairly decent all-in-one units. AKAI has a unit that seems decent as well. As a matter of fact most large brands have them. Problem as usual is that what one market considers to be a good brand another market might consider to be trash. I'm talking in the mind of the average consumer. Check his preference in brands and find one of those models that has what he need. Problem as I see it is that most of them have mirror face plates and look awful. I normally look for line out for all channels and the available video outs.

I have had the same task and I like to believe that somebody that buys this stuf soon gets hooked and buys real stuf and then moves the starter kit to the bedroom in which case it is not critical anymore.

My preference, and IMO good looking to, would probably be: Denon DHT-700DV

Check:
http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DHT700DV catalog Final.pdf

Sorry for the lenght but in category I would recommend:

Budget: Sony or Pioneer
Middle: Sony, Pioneer or Denon
High: Linn (as you recommended) or Nakamichi

/UrSv

PS.
For this task I normally first check the cash they want to spend and then decide what fits in that budget or around it. You can get stuf including speakers from USD 200 and upwards.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The 1st people i asked were my local hifi dealer who do Denon & Sony and they said they had nothing... i'll have to do a little more checking.

I agree with you on Denon product overall.

He is going to be using a quad of BD-Pipes with a budget sub. I expect a price between $700-1000 CAD would be the target.

Has Nakamichi improved their (non-cassette) electronics? When i was selling them no one could match their cassette decks (or clock radio) but the amps weren't that good.

dave

I am not quite sure what models you can get in the Americas when he already has speakers. Most of these units seem to come boxed with speaker. The Denon I suspect will be available without speakers but it all depends on the market.

As for Nakamichi I think they are pretty decent nowadays. Nowhere near the old cassette deck of course but still. Their main area today is however "life-style" or designed systems aimed at the appearance oriented buyer it seems.

Both Sony and Pioneer have plenty of models but I think the more compact the unit the more mass-market oriented the dealer. Have a look at the nearest huge audio/video-dealer?

/UrSv

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
UrSv said:
Both Sony and Pioneer have plenty of models but I think the more compact the unit the more mass-market oriented the dealer. Have a look at the nearest huge audio/video-dealer?

After posting last nite, i did go to one of those guys websites. So badly designed it was hard to find anything. I'll have to go visit personally (i drive by everyday so its not out of the way)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.