anybody doing non audio related diy projects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is everybody building other than audio related projects? I though it would be interesting to hear about what else some of you do.

My current projects other than audio:

Bench power supply - 0 to 10A 0 to +-30V There is a thread about this.

Photographic light (flash) meter - I hate all the ones that the photo stores sell so I am designing my own. The pcb's should come next week. It plugs into anything with a serial port and is powered off the serial port. My intention was to plug it into a PDA. Rather than use a pda am diying a user interface with a graphic lcd.

High speed flash - < 1uS flash duration. 1500V .56uF. Peak current is 2000A. This might be the first time I can say a component was putting out 3MW. I would like to try photographing some bullets in flight. I am designing a 1500V switching ps to power it. My last attempt was too good it was over 3KV. The next version will be regulated.

Future project:
Digital storage scope using the BB ADS831 (80 MHz), a gate array and some SRAM. Maybe 4 channels. It should be good, but it would cost $$$ and would take time.

Darrell Harmon

As from the thread I started on the Bench power supply it is clear that I am doing the same.

A regulated Bench PSU. 2 x 50 V, 2 x 5 A minimum.

An unregulated variac supply with 0-240 VAC @ 10 A and 2 x 100 VDC unregulated.

Tone generator. Sine/Square/Triangle/Saw at 1 Hz - 100 kHz.

Web interface controlled MP3 server.

/UrSv

Well you wanted to know....

Non, audio DIY hum...were to start. Does trying to figure out women count? If not, it's got to be my love hate relationship with my 74 Camaro. From engine fan to Diff. cover and everything in between :>) 3 motors, 3 clutches, 2 Tranny's, 1 shifter and 1 rear end :>(

Going somewhat fast has it's limits...and it's money!

Rino Odorico

tv oscilloscope

Interesting non-audio diy:

I've found a couple websites that mention building a device that will connect to a TV video input and make it function as an oscilloscope. They were usually about 20khz to 50 khz max - anyone know if this idea sounds decent or of any good schematics?

One site that advertises plans (plan#7010) is:
http://www.electronickits.com/kit/plans/testing/testing.htm

Brian.

Re: tv oscilloscope

biff584 said:
Interesting non-audio diy:

I've found a couple websites that mention building a device that will connect to a TV video input and make it function as an oscilloscope. They were usually about 20khz to 50 khz max - anyone know if this idea sounds decent or of any good schematics?

One site that advertises plans (plan#7010) is:
http://www.electronickits.com/kit/plans/testing/testing.htm

Brian.

You should look at some real scopes on ebay. They are commonly less than $50. That's how I got mine. The tv scope would probably cost that to build, and wouldn't be very useful. If you really want to do diy check out bitscope. It is more expensive, but is quite useful.

Darrell Harmon

Solid State Tesla Coil.

For those of you high voltage nuts,

I have an article that I am basing a Tesla coil on that removes the dangerous HV transformer from the project and replaces it with solid state devices and an automotive ignition coil/spark-gap. I have seen the original project built following the article by a high-school student. It would light a flourescent bulb from three feet away. If I get around to it, I will try to provide a link to the article in .pdf format by tomorrow afternoon.

Later,

Well... since I'm actually a bit proud of it... not being a EE and all....

I use analog linear optocoulers in my lab. After a increased S/N by 20dB (=90% less!!) I desided a complete re-design was in order.. SO I did.. well not quite done yet.. but getting there..

The nice thing is that a lot of stuff I learned from audio design is verry usefull in this ..
Biasing, Class A .. Class B .. noise.. bandwidth.. FEt-opamp.. BTJ-opamp.. slewrate .. phasemargin.. apply to this design .. all come to use now ... all learned from guys like Elliot, JLH, Pass, Self etc ..

Anyboby interested in a 200KHz bandwidth, 0.5mV rms noise .. highly linear, low drift, DC-coupled optocoupler?

These are not offered by any company I know of ..

gr,
Thijs

Putting fans inside and outside my fridge to maximise the efficiency and coldness distribution. Electronic thermostat uses thermistor inside a 1kg block of steel. Fans on outside of compressor housing too. Five total. All controlled by a micro. On time, off time and duty cycle is being logged by a 386 laptop. SAF=100% :bigeyes:

Servo/Stepper board

Hello,

I'm working on a small credit card sized board that has a closed loop servo (X4 quadrature encoder) 2.5A driver, and a microstepping stepper driver 2.5A. The board uses a PIC micro and has a CAN interface. I am also making a very inexpensive USB-CAN interface board.

Software is coming along very nicely. Mostly "C", but some assembly language. Board schematic/layout in Eagle.

Dale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.