Mark Levinson Rosette & Korsun U2 confirmed the same

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well this is what i get:

Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.
Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
http://www.geocities.com/super_bq/HiFi.html

Need extra data transfer? Sign up for GeoCities Pro or Webmaster. Learn more.

/kasra

Paul,

I've never seen the Korsun line of amps sold in the US. There was at one time say 3 years ago an online shop in Canada (near Toronto) that was selling them but wanted a hefty profit.

Eitherway, I don't see anything special about these amps. It does serve as a great conversational piece among friends.

BQ

Super_BQ said:
I've just finished updating my website.

It has been confirmed that both integraged amps are the same. Please visit the link below for details.

http://www.geocities.com/super_bq/HiFi.html

Comments are welcomed!

Howdy, BQ!

Can't get to the website right now so don't know what the new news is.

How does it square with the claims made by Levinson in a response to a HFN review where he writes:

The Red Rose Rosette 1 looks similar to a unit made for the PRC [Chinese] market by the company which manufacturers the Rosette for us. This is because I opted to use existing tooling which I found attractive and distinctive, and which also saved time and money. There is a huge sonic difference between the RRM [Red Rose] unit and the low cost PRC amplifier due to engineering refinements which include more sophisticated topology, power supply design and components, the use of active regulated power supplies, parts selection, and other design differences.

In addition to the sonic differences, one can see that completely different PCBs exist in the RRM unit which carry different circuits and parts. All RRM units include technology developed in Seattle by the Red Rose team headed by Victor Tiscareno, SVP Engineering RRM.

Our technology is not to be found in any non-RRM units. Some people are suggesting that RRM is simply selling the same products as the PRC unit, for a lot more money. The rumors seem to have been started by a former employee of mine who saw an opportunity to create controversy and attack RRM based on nothing more than speculation. Anyone can see and hear the difference between the Rosette 1 and the PRC units. One is designed to be a good low cost amp while the Rosette 1 competes with high-end products in the $2k-10k range.

Some dealers in China are telling people that their amps are the same as RRM's. This is not true. There are huge differences in sonic quality, reliability, and stability. Customers beware.

se

Mark Levinson was and is a Master in the Art of marketing.
But now he and his "technical director" Victor Tiscareno have pushed it a bit too far: I dont see any difference between the Korsun Amp and the Rosette.
And the RedRose Passion Integrated Amp for 4100Euro is another "steal":
Looking inside (ImageHIFI#50) you find the typical chinese produced (no offence) steel chassis with solid but cheaply constructed internals, basic parts quality, cheapest cables, etc. All that behind a very thick and classy looking alminium front plate. A NAD or a ROTEL looks better inside. Emperors new dress... 410Euro yes, but 4100Euro?

Klaus / hates hifi charlatans :mad:

ps: This probably has happened many times before with different brands. Reading ML's explanation I can't help but remember hearing those or similar words several times in the last 20years (all those "...but...more sophisticateted topology" technical babble&lies).

anyone interested in a Korsun?

I will give you the email address of my frind in Guangho .
he can buy and ship them to you, last time I paid for the amp was $200!

there is one part in the amp that has been changed and consequently the amp has another name!

Jean-Pierre

Hey Super_BQ!!

I haven't visited your site in a long time and was surprised to see that you've come to enjoy your Hammer Super-12's. I remember that your initial impressions were pretty strong that the Hammers were not very good.

I guess those upgrades really make a difference. I was wondering if you've tried all the other crossover tweaks that Tim Adams and others had done at the Full Range Driver Forum's Super-12 Tweaks page?

Have you considered the new Fostex FT-17H that all those guys are raving about?

I've got my Hammers built, but haven't had the time to fine tune the cabinet or crossover and just wanted to get your new impressions on the Super-12's.

se

Glad to see you're still alive. I've been back in NZ for the past few weeks and havn't had much time to start building anything new. Made my 1st visit to my favorite scrap metal recylcer today ; had instructed the workers to salvage all the big heatsinks I saw on these refridgerator size rectifiers.

In addition to the sonic differences, one can see that completely different PCBs exist in the RRM unit which carry different circuits and parts.

I kinda find it hard to believe. The word's in the pudding but a picture is worth a 1000 words. I think the photos of the amp on my website shows identical PCB.

I had a person e-mail me some time ago about hot rodding my Korsun up. At 1st I thought it was something to put my Korsun back to 100% RR specs. He suggested that I:

1) Change the transformer to a beefier Avel Y23 250VA 25+25V 160VA
2) Replace the rectifiers with high current soft recovery diodes
3) Main PS: bypassed with 2uF/200v Axion and .1uF Auricap
4) Replace the PS Filter capacitors with Black Gate caps.
5) Replace the (NE5534) Op amp with Burr Brown OPA637BPs and bypass each +/- with a .1uF Auricap

The person also suggested using layers of clear nail polish over the op amp to "improve resolution"

BQ

darkmoebius

Currently, my HD Super 12 speaks have been hijacked by my friend. He listens to techno music and loves the sound of the Super 12s in his bedroom.

Can't really say too too much about the speakers considering that they are quite an affordable kit. At the moment i'm still stuck in tube land. My 2A3 amp I built last year is sounding incredibly sweet on a pair of cheap Sansui large size bookshelf speakers rigged up to a PC CD-Rom for the source (it's the room where I do all my soldering).

Future plans (hopefully) 211 monoblock SET and/or Mr. Pass's PentUltimate Zen (v4) balanced. Awaiting special low flux torodials for tube amp projects.

Don't know anything about the Fostek drivers. I've kinda gone away from single fullrange type speakers.

PLEASE let me know on how your HD Super 12 sound like. I want to hear your comments!

BQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.