industrial screws in wood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
im using industrial screws to hold the top on my psu. thay fit and i used the right sized bit. what im asking is there anything i can put on the threads to help them turn out better?

any ideas?

;)

Attachments

• mvc-593s.jpg
    mvc-593s.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 289
That lind of screw is called a "machine screw". It has a constant diameter and pitch machined thread which fits well into a matching nut. You can duplicate the thread of a proper nut in hardwood with a 'machine screw thread hand tap'. You drill a hole that is properly undersized and then run the tap in and out of the hole by screwing it in, then out. Trying to force a machine srew into hardwood to create threads does not work satisfactorily at all.

If you have a spare screw of the same thread you can make it into a crude tap whiich may work in wood by carving a lengthwise notch with a miniature 3 sided file through the threads on the screw. If you can, make two slots, one on each opposite side of the screw. This gap will cut the wood like a chisel as you drive it into the predrilled undersize hole, With this method you need to go in a bit, then back out and clear the wood from the gap, then go in a bit further, back out, clear, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.