A/B testing switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to build a switching box for speaker and amp comparisons.

I could do a simple 2 directional system. In one direction it will switch one amp between 2 speakers, in the other direction it will switch 2 amps into 1 speaker.

But I have some questions.

For amp testing, is it overkill to switch between speaker and a dummy load to keep the other amp working ?

I saw an amp switching box described somewhere that commoned the -ve terminals. Is that safe for all amplifier designs?

jimbo1968 said:
I'm going to build a switching box for speaker and amp comparisons.

I could do a simple 2 directional system. In one direction it will switch one amp between 2 speakers, in the other direction it will switch 2 amps into 1 speaker.

But I have some questions.

For amp testing, is it overkill to switch between speaker and a dummy load to keep the other amp working ?

Yes it's overkill, there's no need to use a dummy load on a transistor amlifier, however a valve amp must not be used without a load.

I saw an amp switching box described somewhere that commoned the -ve terminals. Is that safe for all amplifier designs?

It's NOT safe for bridged amplifiers, and will damage it, so I would suggest switching both to be safe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.