Measurement mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I mean those tiny microphone capsules you find in most consumer audio. Many measurement microphones are just one of these in a tube with a calibration data table. They are often within a few dB of flat up to 20KHz.

As I was saying earlier the mounting of the microphone has major effects on the responce. We used to be in the telephone set business and I have some nice B&K equipment. Tweaking a handset mechanics to meet the CCITT spec was quite hard.

I currently use a radio shack SPL meter. I have modded the capsule mount and the electronics. It seems to give a flat response up to 7k where it rolls off sharply (I can work around this).

Unfortunately I cannot comfirm that it is flat. People have listed compensation charts but they do not match each other, and even if they did, after modding they no longer make sense. I have to put the larger part of faith in simulated results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.