Vancouver Geek-Fest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Frugal-phile(tm) midi-monitors

Here are 1st pics of the speakers i've thrown together for the fest.

No money was spared (or spent hardly) to get these babies together. FE103As found at Sally Ann, boxes from a set of Tangent TM3s, new front baffles scrounged from the bin where ChrisB works, Cat 3 wiring pulled from the ceiling of a governement office, the black screws donated, the others salvaged. Total cost well under the $50 i value the drivers at.

They sound very promising -- with the Linn in for service i'm listening to CD. They image like crazy :D

dave

Attachments

• fe103a-tm3.jpg
    fe103a-tm3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 227
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Neccessity is the mother of invention.....

mrfeedback said:
Is this the FrugalPhile Mk2 ?.

More like Mk XXII, these are my 2nd with these drivers, i just recently posted pics of the 1st ones which cost even less (i retrieved the boxes te drivers were in out of a dumpster).

I haven't heard those drivers in a while, but I well agree that they are a great driver.

Anytime you find some of these alnico FE103As, i'd grab em. Being 30-40 years old they won't all be in as good a condition as these ones, but are worthwhile never-the-less. What speakers are these found in in Oz?

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jag said:
What material are those baffles?

3/4" mdf painted with some hammertone paint (just what chrisB had sitting on the shelf half-used and surplus).

And, are those drivers horn loaded?

These drivers mount best from behind. The thing is more of a conical waveguide. As steep a slope as we could get away with and still leave enuff meat to mount the driver. As it is the screws are outside the basket and use a washer to clamp the basket down.

dave

Dave,

It's still most certainly happening, on Saturday the 23rd. Contact Al Wooley for details.

he can be reached by e-mail: (awooley AT shaw.ca) or via phone.

If you want his phone number, drop me an e-mail personally at (thingyness AT shaw.ca) and I'll toss it on over. I just dont' want to post it publicly on a forum without his permission.

We're going to have some excellent special guests, I can tell you. :)

I'm very much looking forward to it.

- Rick

From www.creativesound.ca :

Canadian DIY Get Together: Saturday November 23rd
Creative Sound will be participating in an all-day DIY event being hosted by Al Wooley of RAW Acoustics in Surrey, BC. Dan Wiggins, president of Adire is also planning on attending. There will be numerous speakers to listen to, much discussion, as well as some "freebies". CSS will be giving away a number of prototype CUBE enclosure kits for those who purchase the corresponding subwoofer driver. Attendees are welcome to bring items for sale or swap. Testing of speakers will also be possible, so bring what you have and might be of interest.

The address is: RAW ACOUSTICS, 16756 85th Ave., Surrey, B.C. Event starts at 10:00 am.
Phone 604-576-8951 or email awooley@shaw.ca.

Sweet!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.