Digita camera help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!

this questions belongs to other forums, but the real pro's are here so:

I have a Canon Powershot S10 digital camera that comes with NB-5H NiMH 650mAh 6V battery.

I manage to extend the battery life by 10X just by putting some tape over a contact of the battery.

It has 3 contacts, and I blocked the center one. Inside this terminal is connected to a pole of the battery with some kind of electronic device that looks like a diode, but lets pass current both ways and has 10K resistence. maybe a resistor.

When the contact if free, the camera can take about 15 pics with flash and lcd on. with the contact taped, it can take over 150 pics no problem !

how can this be??

Is it possible that the component is some kind of sensor to detect if the batt is low?

If a nimh batt if run out of power is it bad for the camera?

If anyone can light my path, I thank you in advance

Here is a picture of the battery I'm talking about, stripped down

(power chord also)

Notice that there are two components else that the batteries.

blocking the black diode shaped one "extends" the battery life,

Another thing,

a regular battery like this should be able to take more then 15 pics with flash and lcd on rigth?

Attachments

• bateria.jpg
    bateria.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 90
I think something may be wrong with the battery or the camera. It seems like the third terminal is probably for charging, and the diode would be to only allow current to flow in. Maybe it is a diode and is bad. I would think it should take more like 100 pictures on a charge, but I don't even own a digicam so I am not sure.

I use a manual Nikon and the battery that was in it lasted 2 years, and I was taking about 3 rolls a week at some times. My other two cameras don't even use batteries. I would get a digital camera, but I can't live with anything less than $2000 even for websites. I just hate the auto everything.

Darrell Harmon

Thanks,

The diode like component is in fact for charging, because the battery doesn't charge with the tape on.

I personally like best my canon eos300 , but the price of slide film and developing time kill me.

with my digitall I already take 4183 pics in two years or so!

the nice ones are indeed analogue, but with this cheap digitall you can also make good shots.
like this one in a garden in Prague

Attachments

• img_0357.jpg
    img_0357.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 81
Darrell might have a point. I use a small Olympus-C100 which take 4 x AA NiMH cells and they last me about 150 shots with quit a couple of flash operations as well. Maybe you must compare youre results with another battery, without using the tape, if you can borrow 1.

EDIT: I just realised and have to admit, my batteries are 1800mAh, will make a big differance on their live span - charge span, sorry. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.