Speaker Workshop Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi folks

Ok, the story in brief. My old sound card, that worked fine with SW died. I replaced it with a Creative soundblaster CT3600. After I found and downloaded the drivers, that worked fine with SW. No problems at all. Then it all started to go wrong...

I installed Protel 99SE, and for some reason, to get that to work, I had to reinstall Windows 98SE several times, but it's now running fine. However, now SW won't work with the CT3600. I have checked and reinstalled the drivers and SW several times, and it appears to be working fine with everything but SW.

Symptoms - wizard detects soundcard as ok, so I try to run a calibration, which falls over with a "failed to open waveform output device" message. Then, if I run the wizard again it says the card is only half-duplex, which it isn't.

Any ideas?

I think the "failed to open waveform output device" is a driver-related issue...sorry I can't help more on that.

But the other "problem" is a bug that I think has always been present. If you run the sound card wizard once after opening SW, it will pass. But if you run the dupex test a second time, it always fails. At least it does on my system.

If you exit SW, then open it again, it will now pass the duplex test...but only the first time.

Do you get that error if you simply try to "record" or "play" a signal from speaker workshop ?

Are all your devices in the control panel->system->device manager reporting ok ? Do you see the sound card device and drivers installed correctly ? and with no yellow or red question marks or exclamation marks ?

If all that is fine, go to control panel->sound & multimedia->Audio (and Voice) and see if your "preferred device" is selected correctly - whatever it is for your soundcard/driver.

If thats fine, check if the sample rate and sample size you are using in speaker workshop is supported by your soundcard.

Although it doesn't matter, also check if the "WAV" slider in the mixer is not muted.

Thats about all that comes to mind right now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.