one more for the quintessential workshop - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2006, 11:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default one more for the quintessential workshop

About a month ago I picked up a twelve piece set of hole punches at the "made in china" tool supply on the industrial side of town. It was less than ten bucks I think. Hmm - I'm thinking - might come in useful.

One month later. My god, how did l work without these all these years? Perfect holes in gaskets, shims, rubber/fibre washers, thin metal, etc. Use a flat block of hardwood under em. Any tinkerers out there without a set, run out and get some. Don't have to be expensive - cheap ones are easy enough to sharpen.
Old 5th March 2006, 11:26 PM   #2
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

All I can find are Greenlee. I had a set once.

-Chris
Old 5th March 2006, 11:29 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Different kind of hole punch, I think. These would be the kind with a sharp-edged circular front end and a rear that resembles the rear of a chisel. You make the hole by whacking it with a hammer. No good for chassis work, but great for flexible and thin materials.
Old 5th March 2006, 11:32 PM   #4
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi SY,
Mine used a mandrel and bolt. You could use a nut driver, then a wrench. Still only good for thin chassis metal.

They were darn expensive back in 1978, no way I can afford another set. I even had a square one.

-Chris
Old 5th March 2006, 11:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

in the realm of "made in China, but barely good enough", US residents might be interested in Harbor Freight's Greenlee-clone set of punches:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91201
Old 6th March 2006, 12:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Hooray for Harbor Freight!
Sure,the stuff may be 'cheap',but who cares..
If something breaks in 6 months,you can go get a new set for $20!
Old 6th March 2006, 12:21 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I was referring to the "chisel" type. I'm not a professional tradesman, so this is only a guess, but I imagine the Greenlee knockout punches are best for high freqency jobbing that would wear out an expensive step drill very quickly. For most hobby work, a step drill is the way to go.

About step drills, I've heard that the two flute designs are superior to single for the reason that as they progress to larger and larger holes they remain perfectly centered. A single flute/edge step drill will end up ever so slightly off from the original center you started off from. Not a big deal for 80 percent of what you do, but sometimes really critical.

Knockout madrels still require a pilot hole, so it can't be argued that they're 100percent cleaner (less metal shavings) than step drills. A pair of step drills was another purchase some years back that proved to be brilliant.

Hole punches are really in a different league. Very thin metals, or rubber, fabric, paper, cardboard, etc. I've always made due with whatever was at hand before, with basically satisfactory results. But I never realized what labor savings, and what clean results were given by these things.

Hide this!Advertise here!